BURLINGTON, N.C. – The King University softball team opened the Conference Carolinas Softball Championship in exciting fashion, with a walk-off win against fifth seed Lees-McRae College. The fourth seeded Tornado scored three in the 6th to tie the game and Hannah Riddle gave King the 4-3 win with a two-out single in the seventh.
FINAL SCORE: No. 4 King 4, No. 5 Lees-McRae 3
LOCATION: Springwood Park; Burlington, N.C.
RECORDS: King 30-19; Lees-McRae 16-25
- Hanna Adams drove in two, both coming with two outs in the sixth to even the score at 3-3 for King.
- For Lees-McRae, Noel Cassidy scored a pair and Kara Cunningham went 1-for-2 with a run scored and one run batted in.
- For the Tornado, Emma Hughes started and went five innings, allowing two unearned runs. She also struck out four.
- Rachel Farmer earned the win, tossing a perfect inning in relief.
- Cunningham tossed all six and two-thirds innings for Lees-McRae, allowing four runs on six hits.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Lees-McRae broke through first with a pair of unearned runs following a Tornado miscue on a sacrifice bunt. A sacrifice fly scored one before Sarah Tucker drove in one with a single.
- Following a hit by pitch in the sixth, Cunningham doubled, scoring Cassidy to extend the Bobcat lead to 3-0.
- King mounted a rally in the sixth inning behind a leadoff walk from Summer Hayes and Katie McCann single.
- Following a couple outs, Jenna Burnett single to load the bases and Katelyn Davidson followed with a single to get King on the board.
- Adams followed with a single to left field, score two and evening the score.
- Following a 1-2-3 top of the seventh inning, Hayes got King going again with a one-out double in the seventh.
- After an out, Riddle came up with a two-out single, scoring Hayes and giving King the 4-3 win.
- King awaits the winner of No. 1 Limestone College and No. 8 Barton College. First pitch is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. Friday night.
- Lees-McRae will play the loser of second seed Erskine College and seventh seed University of Mount Olive at 5:00 p.m.