BURLINGTON, N.C. – The top seed in the Conference Carolinas Softball Championship, Limestone College opened with a victory over eighth seed Barton College. The Saints got an early home run from Hart and a complete game in the circle from Courtney Smith to take the contest 3-1.
FINAL SCORE: No. 1 Limestone 3, No. 8 Barton 1
LOCATION: Springwood Park; Burlington, N.C.
RECORDS: Limestone 32-10; Barton 23-28
- Hart led the Saints with a pair of hits, one home run and drove in two.
- Tessa Faucette also drove in one with a hit.
- For Barton, Jessica Onega posted one hit and drove in.
- Sierra Hearp scored the lone run for the Bulldogs.
- Smith tossed all seven innings for Limestone, allowing one run on five hits and striking out six.
- For Barton, Hannah Jones threw all six innings, allowing three runs on five hits.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Limestone got on the board in the third inning on a Mary Hart two-run home run to right field.
- Barton answered with a Jessica Onega two-out RBI double to right center.
- The Saints had an answer in the bottom half as Ashley Parnell ripped a two-out RBI double to left center, extending the Limestone lead to 3-1.
- That was all Smith needed in the circle as she only allowed one hit over the final three innings. She retired seven of the final eight batters she faced, giving Limestone the 3-1 win.
- Limestone takes on fourth seed King University at 7:00 p.m. on Friday night.
- Barton faces sixth seed Belmont Abbey College at 5:00 p.m. in an elimination game.