BURLINGTON, N.C. – Seventh seeded University of Mount Olive used a stellar pitching performance from Mallory Ratcliff to upset second seed Erskine College 1-0. The Trojans got an RBI triple from Kayla Allen for the game's lone run to take the contest from Erskine.
FINAL SCORE: No. 7 Mount Olive 1, No. 2 Erskine 0
LOCATION: Springwood Park; Burlington, N.C.
RECORDS: Erskine 27-16; Mount Olive 23-26
- Allen posted one hit and drove in one run from the leadoff spot for Mount Olive while Kristen Power scored the contest's lone run.
- For Erskine, Brittany Rhinehardt and Brittany Reynolds posted one hit each.
- Ratcliff was impressive for Mount Olive, only allowing two Erskine hits and striking out five.
- For Erskine, Morgan Hendrix tossed all seven innings and only allowed one run on three hits.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Power worked a two-out walk in the fifth inning before Allen ripped a triple to put Mount Olive ahead 1-0.
- Ratcliff was dominant in the circle for Mount Olive as she didn't allow an Erskine hit until the sixth inning.
- Erskine tried to get their offense going in the sixth inning on a Brittany Rhinehardt leadoff single. Brittany Reynolds followed with a single, and a walk later loaded the bases with one out.
- However, Ratcliff got back-to-back outs to get out of the jam and keep Mount Olive ahead.
- Ratcliff then sat down the Flying Fleet in order in the seventh, giving the Trojans the 1-0 victory.
- Erskine takes on fifth seeded Lees-McRae College in an elimination game at 5:00 p.m.
- Mount Olive takes on third seed North Greenville University at 7:00 p.m. on Friday.