BURLINGTON, N.C. – Lees-McRae College got another stellar pitching performance from Kara Cunningham as she only allowed one hit to keep the fifth seeded Bobcats within striking distance of the second seed Erskine College. The Bobcats scored four runs in the top of the seventh inning to take the contest 4-2 and eliminate the Flying Fleet.
FINAL SCORE: No. 5 Lees- McRae 4, No. 2 Erskine 2
LOCATION: Springwood Park; Burlington, N.C.
RECORDS: Erskine 27-17; Lees-McRae 17-25
- Emily Merriam led Lees-McRae with two runs batted in while Kara Cunningham posted a pair of hits.
- Caitlyn Ray and Noel Cassidy both scored runs for the Bobcats.
- Brittany Reynolds recorded the lone hit for Erskine.
- For Lees-McRae, Cunningham tossed all seven innings, allowing two runs on one hit and struck out five.
- Hannah Houge threw seven innings for Erskine, allowed two runs on three hits and struck out five.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the fifth inning, Erskine manufactured two runs without a hit. The Flying Fleet worked five walks in the frame, two coming with the bases loaded to give Erskine a 2-1 lead.
- Lees-McRae threatened with a pair of runners in the sixth, but couldn't push a run across.
- Following a 1-2-3 bottom of the sixth inning, the Bobcats got their offense going.
- A pair of walks put two runners on with one out before Noel Cassidy drove in one with a single.
- Cunningham followed with a single to even the score before Merriam put the Bobcats ahead with a two-run single.
- Cunningham then worked a 1-2-3 bottom of the seventh to keep the Bobcats alive with the 4-2 victory.
- Lees-McRae plays the loser between No. 3 North Greenville University and No. 7 University of Mount Olive at 12:00 p.m. on Saturday.
- Erskine is eliminated.