BURLINGTON, N.C. – Top seed Limestone College came back from an early deficit against sixth seed Belmont Abbey College to stay alive in the Conference Carolinas Softball Championship. Limestone scored three runs in the second inning and four more in the third inning for the 7-4 victory.
FINAL SCORE: No. 1 Limestone 7, No. 6 Belmont Abbey 4
LOCATION: Springwood Park; Burlington, N.C.
RECORDS: Limestone 33-11; Belmont Abbey 19-34
- Ashley Parenell and Mary Hart led the Saints with two hits each. Parnell drove in two and Hart drove in three.
- Tessa Faucette also posted a pair of hits.
- For Belmont Abbey, Anna Mixa drove in two on a pinch-hit double.
- Alyssa Sciaudone led the way with two hits.
- Josie Weber tossed six innings for Limestone, allowing four runs, three earned on seven hits while striking out five.
- Courtney Smith came in and worked a 1-2-3 seventh inning with two strikeouts.
- Ivorie Maltby started for Belmont Abbey and allowed four runs on five hits.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Belmont Abbey grabbed the lead as their leadoff batter, Elena Duran singled and later scored on a wild pitch. Sciaudone put the Crusaders ahead 2-0 with a single later in the inning.
- Limestone loaded the bases in the first, but couldn't score.
- The Saints broke through in the second inning when the scored three runs, two on a Hart double off the centerfield fence. That vaulted the Saints into a 3-2 lead.
- Limestone followed that with a four-run third inning that was highlighted by a two-run Parnell single up the middle to take a 7-2 advantage.
- Belmont Abbey pulled within three on an Mixa two-out, two-run double, cutting the Crusader deficit to 7-4 in the sixth.
- Smith came in and closed the door for the Saints in the seventh, keeping Limestone alive with the 7-4 win.
- Limestone takes on seventh seed University of Mount Olive at 2:00 p.m. in another elimination game.
- Belmont Abbey is eliminated.