BURLINGTON, N.C. – Seventh seed University of Mount Olive continued their run in the Conference Carolinas Softball Championship with a 4-3 win over fifth seed Lees-McRae College. The Trojans scored the go-ahead run in the sixth inning to take the contest and stay alive.
FINAL SCORE: No. 7 Mount Olive 4, No. 5 Lees-McRae 3
LOCATION: Springwood Park; Burlington, N.C.
RECORDS: Lees-McRae 17-26; Mount Olive 24-27
- Leadoff hitter Kayla Allen led the way for Mount Olive with two hits and one run batted in.
- Anna Ingram drove in a pair of the Trojans.
- For Lees-McRae, Noel Cassidy, Sarah Tucker and Katie Robinson all posted two hits.
- Emily Chaisson tossed three innings and allowed three runs on four hits for Mount Olive.
- Summer Dickerson relieved Chaisson, throwing the four shutout innings where she allowed four hits.
- Gabrielle Moyer started for Lees-McRae and tossed one inning before Cassidy Largen threw one and one-thirds inning.
- Kara Cunningham tossed the final four and two-thirds innings for the Bobcats, allowing one run on three hits.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Trojans didn't waste any time lighting up the scoreboard as the fourth batter of the game, Ingram ripped a two-run double. That gave Mount Olive a 2-0 lead.
- Caitlyn Ray tried to get the Lees-McRae offense going with a leadoff single. She later scored on a Sarah Tucker single.
- However, the Bobcats couldn't score any more runs as they left the bases loaded.
- Lees-McRae evened the score with an unearned run in the second inning, but the Trojans answered in the third.
- Mount Olive regained the lead on an Eileen Barrera single, putting the Trojans ahead 3-2 after three.
- Lees-McRae evened the score on a two-out Cassidy single that scored Meyers in the fifth inning.
- The Trojans used a two-out run of their own to regain the lead in the sixth inning as Allen single to left, giving Mount Olive a 4-3 lead.
- Lees-McRae threatened in the seventh inning, loading the bases with two outs. However, the Bobcats couldn't get a key hit as the Trojans escaped with the 4-3 victory.
- Mount Olive takes on top seed Limestone College at 2:00 p.m. in another elimination game.
- Lees-McRae is eliminated.