BURLINGTON, N.C. – Top seed Limestone College played their second extra inning game in 24 hours, but this time they came out ahead of seventh seeded University of Mount Olive. Emma Swearingen ripped a ninth inning home run to keep the Saints alive with the 2-1 win.
FINAL SCORE: No. 1 Limestone 2, No. 7 Mount Olive 1 (F/9)
LOCATION: Springwood Park; Burlington, N.C.
RECORDS: Limestone 34-11; Mount Olive 24-28
- Swearingen drove in both runs for the Saints, the second on a home run in the ninth inning.
- Mary Hart and Lindsey Mason both had two hits for Limestone.
- Callie Ferrell scored Mount Olive's lone run and was drove in by Kristin Power.
- Five Trojans accounted for their five hits in the contest.
- Courtney Smith tossed all nine innings in the circle for Limestone, striking out nine and allowing one run on five hits.
- For Mount Olive, Mallory Ratcliff allowed two runs on five hits in eight innigs.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mount Olive broke through in the fourth inning following a leadoff walk and sacrifice bunt.
- Following another out, Power came up with a two-out single that drove in Ferrell and put the Trojans head 1-0.
- Limestone evened the score in the sixth inning when a Mary Parker walk got a rally started.
- A sacrifice bunt and single put runners on the corners before a groundout scored Parker to even the score at 1-1.
- Mount Olive then loaded the bases in the seventh inning, but couldn't score as Smith got a strikeout to get out of the jam.
- Lindsey Mason started the bottom of the seventh for Limestone with a double, but she was left there as the game went to extra innings.
- Swearingen came up with the big hit on the first pitch in the ninth inning, a home run to left field, giving Limestone the 2-1 win.
- Limestone advances to take on fourth seed King University in an elimination on Saturday evening.
- Mount Olive is eliminated.