BURLINGTON, N.C. – Playing their second straight win or go home game, fourth seed King University got their offense going in the first inning against third seed North Greenville University. The Tornado scored five runs in the first inning and eight runs in the third inning to take the game 15-2 and force a winner-take-all game for the Conference Carolinas Softball Championship.
FINAL SCORE: No. 4 King 15, No. 3 North Greenville 2
LOCATION: Springwood Park; Burlington, N.C.
RECORDS: North Greenville 32-14; King 33-20
- King pounded out 11 hits, led by two from Hannah Riddle, Jenna Burnett, Katelyn Davidson and Kaycee Casteel.
- Riddle and Summer Hayes scored three runs apiece while Hayes drove in three.
- Kay Brokering, Burnett and Casteel all drove in two runs in the contest.
- For North Greenville, Brooklyn Stone led the way with two hits and drove in one. Taylor Koon also drove in one while Celsea Rivers and Ashton Withers scored the runs.
- Leslie Odom started in the circle for the Tornado and allowed three hits in three innings.
- Raven Allender relieved her and threw the final two frames, allowing one run on four hits.
- North Greenville used four pitchers in the game that was started by Amanda Coffrin who went one-third of an inning.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King didn't waste any time jumping on North Greenville as the Tornado loaded the bases with no outs following an error, Riddle single and Brokering walk.
- Another Crusader defensive miscue scored a pair of runs for King before Hayes worked a bases loaded walk to drive in another.
- The Tornado used another North Greenville error to score two more runs and take a 5-0 lead.
- In the bottom of the first, the Crusaders got hits from their first two hitters, but Odom got three straight outs to give King the 5-0 lead after the first inning.
- Davidson stretched the King lead to 6-0 with a run-scoring single, but a Tornado base running blunder ended the inning.
- With two outs and the bases loaded in the third, Brokering laced a full count single to right center, scoring two. Burnett followed with a two-run double before Hayes and Casteel each ripped two-run singles, giving King a 14-0 lead.
- Griffin got the Crusaders on the board with a two-out single that scored Rivers in the 4th, but King led 14-1.
- Riddle got the run back for the Tornado in the fifth with a sacrifice fly as King took the contest 15-1.
- Both teams come back for a winner-take-all game for the Conference Carolinas Softball Championship on Sunday afternoon.