DAHLONEGA, Ga. – Playing the NCAA Division II Softball Championship for the second time, and first time in six years, the King University Softball team fell behind top-ranked University of North Georgia in the second inning. The Tornado couldn't get a rally going until the seventh inning, and then it was too late as the Nighthawks took the contest 5-2.
FINAL SCORE: #1/No. 1 North Georgia 5, No. 8 King 2
LOCATION: Haines and Carolyn Hill Stadium; Dahlonega, Ga.
RECORDS: King 34-21; North Georgia 57-2
TIME OF GAME: 1:28
King Starting Lineup
1. Katie McCann – CF
2. Hannah Riddle – RF
3. Kay Brokering – 1B
4. Jenna Burnett – 3B
5. Katelyn Davidson – C
6. Erin Roper – LF
7. Summer Hayes – SS
8. Candace Maness – 2B
9. Kaycee Casteel – DP
Starting Pitcher: RHP Leslie Odom
North Georgia Starting Lineup
1. Sydney Sprague – SS
2. Marley Stowers – 3B
3. Brittany Gilliam – 1B
4. Aishia Frierson – DP
5. Kaylyn Anthony – RF
6. Shelby Hammontree – C
7. Lexi Duncan – LF
8. Jordan Deep – 2B
9. Hobby Gregory – CF
Starting Pitcher: RHP Kylee Smith
- Davidson ripped a two-run home run in the seventh inning, her fourth home run of the season.
- Roper collected the other hit for the Tornado, a double coming in the fifth inning.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Nighthawks got on the board in the second inning on a two-run Hammontree home run. Later in the inning, a two-out, two-run double from Stowers made it 4-0 North Georgia.
- Roper was able to collect the first hit for King in the fifth inning with one out, a double that was placed in left center beyond the shortstop.
- North Georgia tallied an unearned run in the fifth, extending the lead to 5-0.
- In the seventh, Burnett was hit by a pitch and Davidson came up with a two-run home run, forcing a Nighthawk pitching change.
- Smith came back in for North Georgia to get the final two outs, giving the Nighthawks the 5-2 victory.
FOR THE FOES
- Hammontree drove in two, and Stowers went 2-for-3 with two runs batted in.
- Anthony went 3-for-3 and scored twice while Gregory also recorded two hits.
Winning Pitcher: Kylee Smith (31-2) 6.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 7 SO
Losing Pitcher: Leslie Odom (17-9) 5.0 IP, 11 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO
- King will face the loser of No. 4 Coker College and No. 5 Queens University at 2:30 p.m. in an elimination game on Friday afternoon.
- North Georgia awaits the winner of the Coker-Queens contest for a 12:00 p.m. start on Friday.