DAHLONEGA, Ga. – Coming off of an extra innings win, the eighth seeded King University softball team kept rolling on Friday at the NCAA Southeast Regional. The Tornado jumped ahead of four seed Coker College early and had a great performance in the circle from Emma Hughes and Rachel Farmer to take the 2-0 win and advance to the regional final.
FINAL SCORE: No. 8 King 2, No. 4 Coker 0
LOCATION: Haines and Carolyn Hill Stadium; Dahlonega, Ga.
RECORDS: King 36-21; Coker 36-18
TIME OF GAME: 2:37
King Starting Lineup
1. Katie McCann – CF
2. Hannah Riddle – RF
3. Kay Brokering – 1B
4. Jenna Burnett – 3B
5. Katelyn Davidson – C
6. Erin Roper – LF
7. Candace Maness – 2B
8. Kaycee Casteel – DP
9. Summer Hayes – SS
Starting Pitcher: RHP Emma Hughes
Coker Starting Lineup
1. Kelsi Backmann – LF
2. Madison King – CF
3. Maria Williamson – 1B
4. Hannah Price – 3B
5. Makayla Shore – C
6. Hannah Goodman – DP
7. Anna Gluhosky – SS
8. Strickland – RF
9. Mindy North – 2B
Starting Pitcher: RHP Taylor Forehand
- McCann registered a pair of hits and scored a run.
- Brokering also recorded two hits and drove in one.
- Hughes only allowed two hits in five innings in the circle, earning her eighth win.
- Farmer earned her seventh save of the season, tossing the final two innings.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King got on the board in the second inning as Roper worked a leadoff walk before Casteel reached on a bunt single to put runners on the corners with one out.
- Hayes then came up with a squeeze bunt, giving King the 1-0 lead.
- It looked as though the Tornado would extend the lead as they loaded the bases in the inning, but a groundball hit a baserunner and the Cobra centerfielder made a diving play to end the inning with the bases full of Tornado.
- Hughes didn't allow a hit until the third inning when Strickland recorded a one-out hit.
- The Tornado offense responded in the fourth inning as McCann started a two-out rally with a single and later scored on an infield single from Brokering, giving King a 2-0 advantage.
- Farmer relieved Hughes in the sixth, and worked a 1-2-3 inning.
- Coker didn't go away as Goodman started a two-out rally in the seventh with a single.
- The Cobras loaded the bases before Farmer induced a groundout, giving King the 2-0 victory.
FOR THE FOES
- Goodman, Gluhosky and Strickland accounted for the Cobras' three hits.
Winning Pitcher: Emma Hughes (8-8) 5.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO
Save: Rachel Farmer (7) 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 1 SO
Losing Pitcher: Taylor Forehand (7-6) 4.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 3 SO
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- With the wins on Friday, the King softball team becomes the first team to win an NCAA Tournament game.
- King will now face top-ranked University of North Georgia on Saturday for the NCAA Southeast Regional championship.
- The Tornado will need to top the Nighthawks twice while North Georgia only needs one win to win the championship.