DAHLONEGA, Ga. – In a rematch from the opening game of the NCAA Southeast Regional, the King University softball team took on top seed and top-ranked University of North Georgia. The Nighthawks jumped on the eighth seeded Tornado early and used a solid pitching performance, taking the 9-1 win and ending King's season.
FINAL SCORE: #1/No. 1 North Georgia 9, No. 8 King 1
LOCATION: Haines and Carolyn Hill Stadium; Dahlonega, Ga.
RECORDS: King 36-22; North Georgia 59-2
TIME OF GAME: 1:40
King Starting Lineup
1. Katie McCann – CF
2. Hannah Riddle – RF
3. Kay Brokering – 1B
4. Jenna Burnett – 3B
5. Katelyn Davidson – C
6. Erin Roper – LF
7. Candace Maness – 2B
8. Kaycee Casteel – DP
9. Summer Hayes – SS
Starting Pitcher: RHP Emma Hughes
North Georgia Starting Lineup
1. Sydney Sprague – SS
2. Marley Stowers – 3B
3. Brittany Gilliam – 1B
4. Aishia Frierson – DP
5. Kaylyn Anthony – RF
6. Shelby Hammontree – C
7. Lexi Duncan – LF
8. Jordan Deep – 2B
9. Hobby Gregory – CF
Starting Pitcher: RHP Kylee Smith
- Davidson ripped a double in the fourth that scored Brokering for King's lone run.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Nighthawks got on the board in the second inning with four runs, the final three coming on a three-run home run from Deep.
- North Georgia added another in the third before King got on the board in the fourth.
- Brokering was hit by a pitch and later scored on a Davidson double off the top of the fence in centerfield.
- However, that was the only blemish for Smith in five innings of work.
- The Nighthawks added two runs in each of the final two innings, taking the contest 9-1.
FOR THE FOES
- Frierson had two hits and scored twice while Anthony posted three hits and scored twice.
- Deep drove in three with a home run and Kristen Adkins drive in two on one hit.
Winning Pitcher: Kylee Smith (33-2) 5.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 7 SO
Losing Pitcher: Emma Hughes (8-9) 2.0 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Tornado end the season with a school record 36 wins, breaking the previous record of 34 set in 2012.
- The softball team also became the first King program to win an NCAA Tournament game, winning a pair on Friday to reach the regional final.
- The senior quartet of Riddle, Maness, Hayes and Roper helped the Tornado to back-to-back 30-win season for the second time in program history.
- This group was also integral to the run to the regional championship game for the Tornado.