BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University softball team earned another sweep to start the season with a pair of wins over Davis & Elkins College. King took the opening contest 1-0 before the offense came through in the nightcap for the 14-6 victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 1, Davis & Elkins 0; King 14, Davis & Elkins 6
LOCATION: King Softball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 4-0; Davis & Elkins 1-5
- Jenna Burnett paced the King offense, going 5-for-5 on the day. In game one she went 3-for-3 and drove in the game's lone run.
- Casey Gilbert went 4-for-7 and scored four runs.
- Kay Brokering collected three hits, including a double and her first home run of the season. She drove in four on the day.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- After working a 1-2-3 top of the first inning, Gilbert started the bottom half with a walk. Kaycee Casteel followed with a single to put two runners on.
- Burnett crushed a double off the top of the fence in center field, scoring Gilbert and giving King a 1-0 lead after one inning.
- The Senators threatened in the fourth inning, loading the bases, but Gilbert got a flyout to end the threat.
- Davis & Elkins had a chance to even the score in the seventh inning, but the Tornado turned a double play to end the contest and take the 1-0 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Casey Gilbert (1-0) 7.0 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO
Losing Pitcher: Haley Grindstaff (0-3) 6.0 IP, 7 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 5 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- King jumped ahead in the first inning again as Gilbert started the inning with a triple.
- Hattie Campbell followed with a double, giving King the lead.
- Brokering then laced a double, stretching the lead to 2-0 as the Tornado were poised for more runs.
- King had the bases loaded with one out, but the Senators got the final two outs to leave the bases loaded.
- Kelsie Millner got Davis & Elkins on the board with a home run in the third inning before the Tornado offense erupted.
- King scored eight runs in the third inning. Azlee Sells, Katie McCann, Gilbert and Brokering all drove in runs as King took a 10-1 lead.
- However, Davis & Elkins responded with five runs in the fourth inning that was highlighted by a two-run home run from Jade Allee and a two-run double from Alyssa Cairns.
- Brokering extended the King lead with a home run in the fifth and Becca Gold gave King a 12-6 lead with a single that scored Burnett.
- The Tornado ended the game with a pair of runs in the sixth as Campbell drove in Casteel and Brokering plated Gilbert to give King the 14-6 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Rachel Farmer (1-0) 2.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO
Losing Pitcher: Jade Allee (1-2) 2.0 IP, 7 H, 7 R, 5 ER, 3 BB, 1 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Ryn Boelter, Cairns, and Rhetta Persinger all registered three hits on the day.
- Allee and Millner ripped home runs while Cairns and Allee led the team with two runs batted in apiece.
- King is in action again on Monday when they host Milligan College at 1:00 p.m.
- Davis & Elkins takes on Tusculum College on Monday afternoon.