BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University softball team swept their third straight doubleheader to start the season, taking a pair from Milligan College 9-4 and 13-0. The Tornado offense recorded 26 hits on the day and Emma Hughes finished the day with the program's third no hitter.
FINAL SCORE: King 9, Milligan 4; King 13, Milligan 0
LOCATION: King Softball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 6-0; Milligan 0-6
- Seven Tornado had multi-hit days, led by Jenna Burnett, Kay Brokering and Casey Gilbert who each collected four hits on the day.
- Gilbert scored four times while Brokering ripped a pair of doubles and drove in three.
- Azlee Sells ripped her first career home run and Katelyn Davidson added her first home run of the season.
- Camryn Haag and Sydney Bailey both registered their first career hits in game two.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- The first three batters reached for King and Burnett gave the Tornado a 1-0 lead with a walk.
- However, King couldn't push another run across as they left the bases loaded.
- Burnett stretched the Tornado lead to 2-0 with a double that scored Brokering in the third inning.
- Milligan took the lead with four runs in a fourth inning that was highlighted two-run singles from Madison Grindstaff and Madison Cook.
- The Tornado answered in the fourth as Gilbert pulled King within on with a run-scoring double and evened the tally when she scored on a wild pitch.
- Brokering gave King the lead with a double off the top of the left center field fence before the Tornado took advantage of a Milligan miscue to take a 6-4 lead.
- In the circle, Rachel Farmer retired the side in the sixth on three pitches, bringing the Tornado offense back to the plate.
- King scored three in the inning, highlighted by a Davidson infield single that scored Burnett as the Tornado took a 9-4 lead.
- Farmer retired the side in order for the third straight inning, giving King the 9-4 victory and her second save of the season.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- Sells jumpstarted the Tornado offense with a leadoff home run in the second inning.
- The Tornado made it a 3-0 lead on run-scoring singles from Hanna Adams and Kaycee Casteel.
- Davidson stretched the lead to 4-0 in the third with her first home run of the season.
- King put the game out of reach in the fourth, scoring nine runs on seven hits.
- Brokering drove in two with a single and Katie McCann plated a pair later in the inning with a single to left field.
- Sells, Adams, Haag and Bailey all came up with hits that scored runs as the Tornado took a 13-0 lead.
- Hughes was lights out in the circle, retiring the first 12 batters she faced.
- The only blemish on her line was a leadoff error in the fifth inning.
- She tossed the complete game on 53 pitches, 38 strikes and faced only one over the minimum.
Winning Pitcher: Emma Hughes (2-0) 5.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO
Losing Pitcher: Kassi Butcher (0-3) 1.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Grindstaff and Cook led the Buffalo offense with two runs batted in apiece.
- Six different players accounted for Milligan's six hits on the day.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The no hitter for Hughes is the first of her career and third in program history.
- The last time King threw a no hitter was in 2017 at Converse College.
- King has won their first six games of a season for the second time in program history. The last time, King won their first eight in 2018.
- King travels to the Columbus State University Tournament on Saturday and Sunday. The Tornado take on Lynn University on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. and the host Cougars at 5:00 p.m.
- Milligan travels to the University of Pikeville on Tuesday afternoon.