COLUMBUS, Ga. – The King University softball team finished the Columbus State Tournament with a defeat to Bellarmine University. The Tornado took a lead in the fifth inning, but the Knights came back with three in the sixth to take the contest 3-2.
FINAL SCORE: Bellarmine 3, King 2
LOCATION: Cougar Field; Columbus, Ga.
RECORDS: King 7-2; Bellarmine 8-6
- Casey Gilbert went 3-for-4 with a run scored from the leadoff spot.
- Jenna Burnett drove in one on one hit while Hattie Campbell went 2-for-4 with one run batted in.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado threatened with two runners on with one out in the first inning, but Olivia Knies escaped the jam with a pair of pop outs for Bellarmine.
- King again threatened in the third inning, loading the bases with one out, but again Knies wiggled out of the jam with a groundout that cut down the run at home and a strikeout.
- In the fifth, King finally broke through with back-to-back singles from Gilbert and Kaycee Casteel to start the frame.
- Burnett drove in one with a single to right field and Campbell later plated Casteel to put King ahead 2-0.
- However, Knies got back-to-back strikeouts to end the threat as King left the bases loaded again.
- It didn't take Bellarmine long to respond with a pair of singles to start the sixth inning.
- A double scored both and evened the score before a sacrifice fly gave the Knights a 3-2 advantage.
- Gilbert finally got the last out to end the inning for the Tornado.
- The Tornado didn't give up, putting their first two runners on in the seventh.
- However, Knies was up to the task again, getting the final three outs, giving Bellarmine the 3-2 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Olivia Knies (3-2) 7.0 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 6 BB, 7 SO
Losing Pitcher: Casey Gilbert (1-1) 6.0 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Samantha Smith went 2-for-3 and drove in two while Ciara Incorvati went 3-for-3.
- King returns home on Tuesday to take on Lincoln Memorial University. First pitch of the doubleheader is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.