HARROGATE, Tenn. – The King University softball team dropped a pair of games at Lincoln Memorial University on Tuesday afternoon. The Tornado dropped game one 9-4 before the Railsplitters came back to take game two 9-7.
FINAL SCORE: Lincoln Memorial 9, King 4; Lincoln Memorial 9, King 7
LOCATION: Dorothy Neely Field; Harrogate, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 7-4; Lincoln Memorial 16-4
- Katie McCann, Katelyn Davidson and Casey Gilbert all registered three hits for the Tornado.
- Davidson accounted for three doubles while Gilbert drove in a pair.
- Azlee Sells ripped a home run and a double and drove in two.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- Allie Jones opened the scoring for Lincoln Memorial with a two-out home run in the second. Following a walk, Jacie Pittman then ripped a two-run home run that gave the Railsplitters a 3-0 lead.
- The Tornado deficit grew to 6-0 in the third when Kelsie Hocutt ripped a three-run home run to left center.
- Kaylee Rowland and Sydney Bailey worked a pair of one-out walks in the fourth before Haley Mullins recorded her first career hit to load the bases.
- A Railsplitter miscue allowed a pair of runs to score, cutting the King deficit to 6-2.
- However, King couldn't push another run across, leaving the bases loaded.
- Lincoln Memorial extended their lead to 9-2 with three more runs in the fifth inning. Two came on RBI singles and the other on a double.
- Kay Brokering drove in two for the Tornado with two outs in the seventh, but King couldn't push any more runs as Lincoln Memorial took the contest 9-4.
Winning Pitcher: Bailey Griffith (7-2) 3.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 4 SO
Losing Pitcher: Leslie Odom (3-1) 5.0 IP, 5 H, 6 R, 5 ER, 3 BB, 3 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- Back-to-back doubles from Davidson and Sells got the Tornado on the board in the second inning.
- In the third inning, Gilbert ripped double that scored Kaycee Casteel before Becca Gold scored Gilbert to give King a 3-0 lead.
- Sells started the fourth inning with a home run before Gilbert drove in McCann, putting the Tornado head 5-0.
- However, Lincoln Memorial got their offense going in the fourth inning, scoring three runs on five hits.
- The Railsplitters got RBI doubles from Pittman and Bella Buccellato before Sierra Hucklebee drove in another with a single.
- Lincoln Memorial took the lead in the fifth, scoring six runs on four Tornado errors and three hits.
- Ty-Kelly Goins had the big hit, a three-run double as the Railsplitters took a 9-5 lead.
- King didn't go down easy as Davidson drove in Lex Stafford in the seventh with a double and McCann later drove in Davidson.
- However, that was all King was able to score as Lincoln Memorial took the contest 9-7.
Winning Pitcher: Faith Howe (5-2) 3.1 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO
Losing Pitcher: Casey Gilbert (1-2) 2.1 IP, 3 H, 6 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO
Save: Bailey Griffith (1) 0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Pittman went 4-for-5, drove in five and scored four while ripping a home run.
- Buccellato ripped three doubles and scored tweice.
- Grace Cochran scored three runs on two hits.
- King will be in action on Wednesday when they host Catawba College at 1:00 p.m.
- Lincoln Memorial hosts North Greenville University on Thursday afternoon.