HICKORY, N.C. – The King University softball team traveled to take on regional power Lenoir-Rhyne University. The Tornado offense was stymied by stellar Bear pitching as Lenoir-Rhyne won game one 5-1 and game two 9-1.
FINAL SCORE: Lenoir-Rhyne 5, King 1; Lenoir-Rhyne 9, King 1
LOCATION: Bears Field; Hickory, N.C.
RECORDS: King 9-8; Lenoir-Rhyne 14-7
- Azlee Sells and Casey Gilbert led the way with two hits each.
- Jenna Burnett ripped a home run in game one.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- Erin Boone started the scoring in the first inning with a home run to right center to give Lenoir-Rhyne the lead.
- King answered on a Burnett home run that started the second inning.
- The Bears then added a pair on back-to-back run-scoring singles in the second inning.
- Lenoir-Rhyne tacked on two more runs in the fifth inning as Talon LaClair drove in one with a single up the middle.
- The Tornado offense was held down by Brandi Parks as she only allowed one Tornado hit after the second inning. That hit came with two outs in the seventh, but Parks got out of the inning to give Lenoir-Rhyne the win.
Winning Pitcher: Brandi Parks (9-3) 7.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 6 SO
Losing Pitcher: Leslie Odom (3-3) 2.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- The Bears threatened to score in the first inning, but Tornado pitcher Emma Hughes stranded a pair of runners.
- Lenoir-Rhyne grabbed the lead with one run in the second inning as Savannah Moorefield ripped a single to right field that scored one.
- Kay Brokering tried to get the Tornado offense going with a leadoff double in the fourth inning. She later scored on a two single from Hattie Campbell, evening the score.
- However, the Bears regained the lead with a Cassie Healy RBI double and Moorefield sacrifice fly to take a 3-1 lead.
- King threatened in the fifth inning, but couldn't come up with a clutch hit as Parks stranded the bases loaded.
- In the fifth inning, Lenoir-Rhyne scored six runs, capped by a pair of two-run doubles. Moorefield ripped the first one before Kylee Leonhardt laced a two-run single that gave Lenoir-Rhyne the 9-1 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Brandi Parks (10-3) 5.0 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 1 SO
Losing Pitcher: Emma Hughes (3-2) 4.1 IP, 8 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 1 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Savannah Moorefield led the way with four hits and drove in four while Erin Boone ripped a home run.
- Kendall Osborne posted two hits and scored three runs and Macie Gibson registered three hits and scored three runs.
- King is scheduled to be in action again on Friday when they host North Greenville University. The Conference Carolinas opener is scheduled to start at 2:00 p.m.
- Lenoir-Rhyne hosts Bloomsburg University on Saturday.