BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University softball team opened Conference Carolinas play in exciting fashion on Friday afternoon. The Tornado scored two runs in the seventh inning of game one to take the contest 2-1 before coming from behind again in game two. King plated two runs in the fifth, taking the game 3-2.
FINAL SCORE: King 2, North Greenville 1; King 3, North Greenville 2
LOCATION: King Softball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 11-8, 2-0 Conference Carolinas; North Greenville 6-13, 1-3 Conference Carolinas
- Kay Brokering and Jenna Burnett recorded back-to-back run-scoring singles in the seventh inning of game one.
- Hattie Campbell came up with the big hit in game two, a two-out, two-run double in the fifth.
- Kaycee Casteel scored a pair of runs on two hits.
- In the circle, Rachel Farmer and Casey Gilbert combined to give up three runs, one earned on five hits in the twin bill.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- Farmer was lights out in the circle for the Tornado in game one, retiring the first 17 batters she faced. Her first blemish was a walk with two outs in the sixth inning.
- However, Jaelin Griffin was nearly as impressive for the Crusaders, holding King scoreless through six innings.
- King threatened with a pair of runners in the first inning, but Gilbert kept the Tornado off the scoreboard.
- The Tornado then loaded the bases in the second inning, but again Griffin got out of the jam.
- North Greenville struck first as Taylor Koon ripped a two-out home run in the seventh inning, putting the Crusaders ahead 1-0 as that was the first and only hit Farmer gave up in the contest.
- In the bottom of the inning, Katie McCann worked a walk before a two-out single from Casteel put a pair of runners on for King.
- Brokering then ripped a single that evened the score and Burnett crushed a double that gave King the 2-1 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Rachel Farmer (3-0) 7.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO
Losing Pitcher: Jaelin Griffin (3-8) 6.2 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 6 BB, 8 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- The nightcap started the same way, with both pitchers throwing well.
- King put a pair of runners on in the second inning following a Katelyn Davidson leadoff double.
- However, North Greenville pitcher Callie Richards escaped the jam.
- In the top of the third, North Greenville took advantage of two Tornado defensive miscues to take a 2-0 lead.
- McCann got King on the board in the fourth inning with a two-out single down the left field line that scored Campbell.
- In the fifth inning, the Crusaders put their first two batters on and had runners on second and third with one out.
- However, King pitcher Casey Gilbert got outs on back-to-back pitches to keep King within one run.
- Casteel got the Tornado offense going in the bottom of the inning with a single and Brokering followed with a single.
- The duo later came around to score on a Campbell two-out double to left center, putting King ahead 3-2.
- Gilbert worked around a base runner in each the sixth and seventh innings, but retired the side to give King the 3-2 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Casey Gilbert (2-3) 7.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO
Losing Pitcher: Callie Richards (3-5) 6.0 IP, 9 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Koon's one hit on the day was a home run.
- Jenna Hewes posted two hits off the bench in game two and scored one run.
- King returns to action on Saturday when they host Southern Wesleyan University at 2:00 p.m.
- North Greenville travels to Lees-McRae College on Saturday.