BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University softball team won two more Conference Carolinas games on Saturday, pushing their league record to 4-0. The Tornado took game one from Southern Wesleyan University 1-0 before winning game two 8-5.
FINAL SCORE: King 1, Southern Wesleyan 0; King 8, Southern Wesleyan 5
LOCATION: King Softball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 13-8, 4-0 Conference Carolinas; Southern Wesleyan 8-12, 1-3 Conference Carolinas
- Jenna Burnett drove in three on two hits in game two while Casey Gilbert scored twice and drove in two on two hits.
- Kaycee Casteel and Kay Brokering also scored two runs apiece with Brokering driving in one.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- Rachel Farmer worked around a pair of base runners in each the first and second innings, but kept the Warriors off the scoreboard.
- The Tornado turned a double play that cut down a run at the plate and ended the top of the second inning.
- Katelyn Davidson then started the bottom half with a single before stealing second. Davidson later scored on a Katie McCann groundout, putting King ahead 1-0.
- Southern Wesleyan had at least one base runner in four of the final five innings, but Farmer was up to the task, stranding them all.
- Farmer tossed her third complete game of the season and first career shutout.
Winning Pitcher: Rachel Farmer (4-0) 7.0 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO
Losing Pitcher: Ashton Martin (4-5) 5.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 7 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- A pair of hit by pitches put two runners on for the Tornado in the first before Burnett ripped a double that score them both and put King ahead 2-0.
- Southern Wesleyan got one run back on an Ashton Martin leadoff home run in the second inning.
- Burnett stretched the Tornado lead to 3-1 with a single that scored Casteel.
- Martin ripped another home run in the fourth, cutting the Southern Wesleyan deficit to 3-2.
- Gilbert got that run back for the Tornado in the fourth with a triple that scored Hanna Adams.
- The Warriors scored one again in the fifth, but Azlee Sells came back with a double that plated Brokering, giving King a 5-3 lead.
- King looked to put the game out of reach in the sixth, scoring three runs to take an 8-3 advantage. Gilbert and Brokering each drove in runs in the inning for King.
- Southern Wesleyan didn't give up, however, plating a pair of runs in the seventh, but Gilbert got the final two outs to give King the 8-5 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Emma Hughes (4-2) 5.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 4 SO
Losing Pitcher: Emma Collins (1-3) 3.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Lydia Clanton went 3-for-3 in game one to lead the Warriors.
- Ashton Martin led Southern Wesleyan in game two, going 2-for-3, driving in two and scoring twice.
- King returns to action on Tuesday when they travel to Mars Hill University. First pitch is scheduled for 2:00 p.m.
- Southern Wesleyan travels to Lees-McRae College on Sunday.