BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University softball team came back to take game one from UVa-Wise 4-3 on a walk-off home run from Kay Brokering on Wednesday afternoon. However, the Cavaliers returned the favor with a grand slam in the seventh to take game two 6-3.
FINAL SCORE: King 4, UVa-Wise 3; UVa-Wise 6, King 3
LOCATION: King Softball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 15-10; UVa-Wise 7-12
- Casey Gilbert and Brokering led the way for King, each posting three hits on the day.
- Brokering ripped her sixth home run of the year while Gilbert scored one run.
- Both Brokering and Katie McCann drove in two runs on the day.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- Brokering gave King the lead in the first inning with a single that scored Gilbert who started the inning with a bunt single.
- However, the Tornado left a pair of base runners on the frame.
- The Cavaliers evened the score with an unearned run in the second and took the lead in the third on a Kaylee Jones infield single that scored Alexis Miles.
- In the fourth, UVa-Wise extended their lead to 3-1 as Taylor Creasey ripped a double that scored Katie Russell.
- The Tornado offense got going in the sixth when Hattie Campbell started the frame with a single and advanced to second on an error.
- McCann later drove in pinch runner Bailey Deason with a sacrifice fly and Azlee Sells scored on a wild pitch to even the score at three.
- In the seventh, Brokering led off the inning and ripped a full count pitch over the left field fence, giving King the 4-3 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Casey Gilbert (4-3) 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO
Losing Pitcher: Sydney Collins (1-1) 6.0 IP, 9 H, 4 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- The second batter of game two, Creasey ripped a home run to center field, giving the Cavaliers the early 1-0 lead.
- Gilbert came up with a sacrifice fly to score Deason and even the score in the second inning.
- In the third inning, Danielle Parks worked a bases loaded walk to drive in one and McCann drove in Campbell with a sacrifice fly. However, the Tornado left two runners on base as they took a 3-1 lead.
- Nikki Smith started the fourth with a triple and scored on a Jones groundout for UVa-Wise, but King led 3-2.
- The score remained the same until the seventh inning when the Cavaliers got a one-out baserunner on a Tornado miscue. A two-out single and another King defensive miscue loaded the bases.
- Miles then made the Tornado pay with a home run to left field, giving UVa-Wise a 6-3 lead.
- The Tornado then went down in order in the seventh as UVa-Wise took the contest 6-3.
Winning Pitcher: Raychel Lapallo (3-6) 4.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 3 SO
Losing Pitcher: Emma Hughes (4-3) 6.2 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 4 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Creasey and Miles both ripped home runs for UVa-Wise with Creasey posting three hits and Miles two.
- Miles drove in four and Creasey drove in two.
- Jones also drove in two and collected three hits on the day.
- King returns to Conference Carolinas play this weekend when they travel to Barton College and the University of Mount Olive. First pitch on Saturday at Barton is scheduled for 2:00 p.m.
- UVa-Wise hosts Glenville State College on Saturday.