DUE WEST, S.C. – The King University softball team dropped a doubleheader matchup against conference foe Erskine College on Friday. Two dominant pitching performances from Erskine pitchers proved to be the game changer as the Tornado fell 5-2, and 3-0.
FINAL SCORE: Erskine 5, King 2; Erskine 3, King 0
LOCATION: Erskine Softball Complex; Due West, S.C.
RECORDS: King 18-13, 7-3 Conference Carolinas; Erskine 20-9, 6-2 Conference Carolinas
- Jenna Burnett hits a two-run home run in game one.
- Emma Hughes throws two and one-third innings of no-hit softball while striking out four in relief.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- Casey Gilbert started off the game with a leadoff walk for the Tornado. After a pair of outs, Burnett stepped up to the dish and knocked a two out two-run home run to get King going on the right track with a 2-0 lead.
- This would be the only hit recorded for King for the rest of the game as Morgan Hendrix shut the door against the Tornado offense.
- The Flying Fleet would answer in the third inning with back to back RBI singles from Reagan Davis and Taylor Payne.
- In the fourth inning, Erskine would strike again plating three runs on four hits to take the lead 5-2.
- Hughes would replace Rachel Farmer in the circle to stop the bleeding and quiet the Erskine bats, tossing two and one-third innings while striking out four and not allowing a hit.
- After back to back scoreless innings on both sides, Burnett would draw a leadoff walk to start the seventh. The Tornado, however; couldn't capitalize and fell down in order afterward dropping game one 5-2.
Winning Pitcher: Hendrix (8-6) 7.0 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 4 BB, 6 SO
Losing Pitcher: Farmer (5-3) 3.2 IP, 10 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- The Flying Fleet started game two how they left off game one with dominant pitching from Hannah Houge.
- In the bottom of the first Erskine would score three runners to take an early 3-0 lead which proved to be all they needed in the game.
- Gilbert pitched well for the Tornado only allowing those three runs in the first and shut down the Erskine offense for the remainder of the game.
- King would eventually record their first hit of the game in the top of the sixth by way of Katelyn Davidson infield single.
- King's best chance for a rally came in the seventh with Kaycee Casteel piecing a ball for a single.
- Houge however, would step back into the circle striking out two of the last three batters to secure the win for Erskine 3-0.
- Gilbert then induced a flyout to give King the 1-0 win.
Winning Pitcher: Houge (9-4) 7.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 11 SO
Losing Pitcher: Gilbert (6-4) 6.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 4 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Houge strikes out 11 batters while only allowing two hits in game two.
- Hendrix strikes out six batters and only gives up one hit in game one
- Davis goes 4-for-6 with two RBI on the day.
- King returns to the diamond on Saturday as they travel to Emmanuel College. First pitch is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.
- Erskine hosts Lees-McRae College on Saturday.