FRANKLIN SPRINGS, Ga. – The King University softball team was in action again on Saturday as they traveled to Emmanuel College. After a heartbreaking extra-innings loss in game one, the Tornado were able to salvage the day and take game two to split the doubleheader, headed by a strong hitting performance from Kay Brokering.
FINAL SCORE: Emmanuel 7, King 6; Emmanuel 3, King 0
LOCATION: Emmanuel Softball Complex; Franklin Springs, Ga.
RECORDS: King 19-14, 8-4 Conference Carolinas; Emmanuel 16-17, 5-5 Conference Carolinas
- Brokering went 5-for-9 on the day with a triple and two home runs while driving in five.
- Danielle Parks goes 4-for-8 while driving in four on the day.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- The Lions struck first in the bottom of the first inning with an RBI single to left field and a sacrifice fly to take a 2-0 lead over King.
- King would cut the lead in half in the third inning as Katelyn Davidson knocked a solo shot bringing down the Emmanuel lead 2-1.
- Emma Hughes was able to pitch out of trouble in the bottom of the third and King was able to follow by plating another run to tie the game at 2.
- King the break the 2-2 tie with a two-run home run from Brokering that was followed by a Casey Gilbert RBI double to give King a 5-2 lead going into the final inning.
- Rachel Farmer would come in to try and close the game out but the Lions had different plans as they quickly loaded the bases. Farmer was able to strike out the next batter but then gave up three runs as Emmanuel tied the game at five to push the game to extra innings.
- Hattie Campbell would step up to the plate and drive in a run to give King the lead again in the eighth 6-5.
- The Lions, however; would answer once again and score two runs in the in eighth to walk it off 7-6.
Winning Pitcher: Madison Abell (9-7) 8.0 IP, 12 H, 6 R, 5 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO
Losing Pitcher: Farmer (5-4) 1.1 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- The Tornado were quick to bounce back in game two as they put up six runs in the second inning headed by a Brokering three-run triple to take the early lead 6-0.
- Emmanuel scored a run in the bottom of the second to bring the Tornado lead down 6-1.
- After a pair of scoreless innings Brokering got the run back for King hitting her second round-tripper of the day to bring the King lead back up to six, 7-1.
- The Lions would show some power of their own in the bottom of the fourth as Morgan Franklin knocked a two-run home run to cut back into the King lead 7-3.
- The Tornado had an answer once again for the Lions as they added a run in the sixth and two runs in the seventh to balloon the King lead up 10-3.
- Gilbert the retired the side to secure the Tornado victory 10-3
Winning Pitcher: Gilbert (7-4) 7.0 IP, 9 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO
Losing Pitcher: Alannah Long (1-5) 5.2 IP, 12 H, 10 R, 10 ER, 3 BB, 2 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Isabelle Petty goes 4-for-8 on the day while driving in one.
- Noelle Petty also goes 4-for-8 while driving in two runs and scoring once.
- King hosts Lee University on Wednesday. First pitch scheduled for 2:00 p.m.
- Emmanuel hosts Lees-McRae College on Sunday.