BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University softball team came away with a sweep of Lee University on Wednesday afternoon. The Tornado scored runs early to win game one 6-4 before score runs late in game two for the 7-1 victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 6, Lee 4; King 7, Lee 1
LOCATION: King Softball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 21-14; Lee 16-23
- Kaycee Casteel scored a pair of runs and collected four hits on the day.
- Casey Gilbert ripped her first career home run in game one and drives in four on the day.
- Azlee Sells goes 2-for-3 and scored twice in game two.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- Gilbert got the Tornado offense going with a leadoff home run to right field in the first inning.
- The Tornado added five runs in the second inning, as Casteel drove in Hannah Adams to start the onslaught.
- Briana Harbin later drove in Casteel with a squeeze bunt and Jenna Burnett stretched the King lead to 6-0 with a single through the left side.
- The Flames scored on in the fifth and added two more in the sixth on a Kiley Longmire home run.
- Lee scored one and had the bases loaded in the seventh inning when Rachel Farmer entered the circle.
- She threw one pitch to get the final out the of the game, earning her third save and giving King the 6-4 win.
Winning Pitcher: Emma Hughes (5-3) 6.2 IP, 9 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 4 BB, 7 SO
Losing Pitcher: Shonna Penney (6-13) 6.0 IP, 8 H, 6 R, 4 ER, 4 BB, 1 SO
Save: Rachel Farmer (3) 0.1, 0 H, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- Lee grabbed the lead in the third inning a Kayla Louie ripped a triple and Lily Hatcher followed with a single that scored Louie.
- King answered in the bottom half on a Gilbert sacrifice fly that scored Katie McCann who single earlier in the frame.
- Gilbert gave King the lead with a double that scored Sells in the fifth. Burnett later drove in two with a double, giving King a 5-1 lead.
- The Tornado added two more on a two-out, two-run single from Kay Brokering in the sixth inning.
- That was all Gilbert needed in the circle as she finished the complete game, giving King the 7-1 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Casey Gilbert (7-4) 7.0 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 5 SO
Losing Pitcher: Stevie Baird (3-3) 6.0 IP, 12 H, 7 R, 4 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Hatcher posted five hits in seven at bats and drove in a pair.
- Longmire posted three hits and drove in two on the day.
- King hosts Belmont Abbey College on Friday at 2:00 p.m.
- Lee hosts Delta State University on Saturday and Sunday.