BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University softball team took another sweep on Friday when they won both ends of a Conference Carolinas twin bill against Belmont Abbey College. Rachel Farmer tossed a shutout in the 5-0 game one win while Casey Gilbert came back with a complete game in the King 6-2 game two win.
FINAL SCORE: King 5 Belmont Abbey 0; King 6, Belmont Abbey 2
LOCATION: King Softball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 23-14, 10-4 Conference Carolinas; Belmont Abbey 15-19, 5-9 Conference Carolinas
- Farmer tossed her third shutout of the season and her sixth complete game of the year.
- Katelyn Davidson went 3-for-4 with a home run and drove in three in the nightcap.
- Hanna Adams and Katie McCann also posted three hits apiece in game two.
- Gilbert and Kay Brokering ripped home runs in game one with Brokering posting three hits.
- Jenna Burnett also posted three hits in game one.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- King loaded the bases in the first inning, but couldn't push across any runs.
- The Crusaders threatened in the second inning, with a runner on third and one out.
- However, the Tornado turned a double play, cutting down the run at home and getting out of the inning.
- Gilbert got the Tornado offense going with a leadoff home run in the third inning over the scoreboard in left center.
- Brokering followed with a two-run home run before Azlee Sells drove in another with a single.
- A bases loaded walk from Gilbert gave King a 5-0 lead after three innings.
- Belmont Abbey threatened with a pair of runners in the fourth, but Farmer induced a pair of groundouts to get out of the inning.
- Farmer again escaped a jam in the sixth as the Crusaders loaded the bases, but King came out of the inning unscathed and leading 5-0.
- In the seventh, Belmont Abbey put two runners on with two outs, but Farmer got a foul out to end the game and give King the 5-0 win.
Winning Pitcher: Rachel Farmer (6-4) 7.0 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO
Losing Pitcher: Annabeth Watkins (8-9) 2.1 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 1 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- The Tornado scored a pair of runs in the second inning on two Crusader defensive miscues, taking a 2-0 lead.
- Adams stretched the King lead to 3-0 with a single that scored Davidson in the third inning.
- Belmont Abbey responded with a run in the fourth inning, but King came back in the bottom half of the frame.
- Davidson ripped a two-run double to right field, giving King a 5-1 lead after four.
- In the sixth, Davidson added an insurance run with a home run, stretching the King lead to 6-1.
- Cameron Coop hit a home run in the sixth inning, but Gilbert got the final out, giving King the 6-2 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Casey Gilbert (8-4) 7.0 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 7 SO
Losing Pitcher: Ivorie Maltby (5-8) 3.1 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 2 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Claire Doyle led Belmont Abbey in game one, going 3-for-3.
- Payton Whitley and Cooper both posted a pair of hits in game two with Cooper ripping a home run.
- King hosts Catawba College on Saturday at 2:00 p.m.
- Belmont Abbey travels to Lees-McRae College on Saturday afternoon.