BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University softball team was in action again on Saturday as they hosted Catawba College for the first time in program history. After dropping game one 10-1 the Tornado were able to bounce back and use a couple of big flies to earn the split in game two 7-1.
FINAL SCORE: Catawba 10, King 1; King 7, Catawba 1
LOCATION: King Softball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 24-15; Catawba 19-16
- Casey Gilbert tosses her ninth complete game of the year only allowing one run.
- Katelyn Davidson went 1-for-2 in game two with a home run and drove in three while scoring three times.
- Jenna Burnett goes 3-for-3 with a two-run home run in the nightcap.
- Kaycee Casteel goes 1-for-2 with an RBI double in game one.
- Hattie Campbell also posted two hits in game two.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- The Indians were quick to get things going in game one starting the game with back-to-back-to-back singles.
- Preston Ellenberg then singles to right field to bring in a run and take a 1-0 lead.
- Catawba wasn't done as they four more runs on a double and a single to extend the early lead to 5-0.
- After a pair of scoreless innings Catawba would add three more runs to stretch their lead to 8-0.
- However, King would cut into the lead by way of a two-strike two out Casteel double in the bottom half of the fifth.
- Catawba would put the game away in the top half of the sixth, plating two more runs to eventually take game one 10-1.
Winning Pitcher: Ellenburg (5-3) 6.0 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 7 SO
Losing Pitcher: Emma Hughes (5-4) 3.1IP, 9 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- The Tornado were the aggressors in game two jumping off to a quick 3-0 lead coming by way of a Davidson three-run home run over the left-center field fence.
- After a scoreless second inning King would add more runs in the bottom half of the third.
- Kay Brokering started it off with a leadoff walk and Burnett followed with a two-run home run that barely snuck over the left centerfield fence to give King a 5-0 lead.
- The Tornado would add one more in the inning by smart base running from Davidson stretching the King lead to 6-0.
- In the fifth inning, another smart base running move from Davidson pushed King up 7-0.
- Catawba added a run in the top of the seventh but the game was already out of reach as King took game two 7-1.
Winning Pitcher: Gilbert (10-4) 7.0 IP, 8 H, 1 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 4 SO
Losing Pitcher: Madison Hunter (9-6) 2.1 IP, 4 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 3 BB, 4 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Sydney Goertzen goes 4-for-6 on the day scoring three times.
- Kaylee Cook also records four hits and scored three times.
- King hosts Lees-McRae College on Saturday at 1:00 p.m.
- Catawba travels to Lees-McRae College on Sunday afternoon.