SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The King University softball team came away with a sweep at Converse College on Wednesday afternoon. The Tornado offense erupted for a 13-0 game one victory before Rachel Farmer tossed a complete game as King took the nightcap 3-1.
FINAL SCORE: King 13, Converse 0; King 3, Converse 1
LOCATION: Tyger River Park; Spartanburg, S.C.
RECORDS: King 25-18, 13-5 Conference Carolinas; Converse 6-42, 1-17 Conference Carolinas
- Emma Hughes tossed her second shutout of the season, and fourth of her career in game one, allowing only four hits and striking out six.
- Farmer tossed her eighth complete game of the year, allowing one unearned run on three hits.
- Offensively, Kay Brokering ripped her 10th home run of the season and drove in four runs on the day.
- Casey Gilbert went 3-for-5 with two runs batted in and three runs scored in game one.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- King grabbed the lead on back-to-back doubles from Azlee Sells and Hanna Adams to start the fourth inning.
- Katie McCann drove in Adams with a single before King took advantage of a Converse miscue.
- Hattie Campbell gave King a 4-0 lead with a two-out single that scored Casey Gilbert.
- The Tornado offense put the game out of reach in the sixth inning with nine runs.
- Sells drove in two with a single through the left side and Gilbert later plated a pair with a single up the middle.
- Brokering ripped a three-run home run, giving King a 13-0 lead.
- Hughes didn't allow a base runner over the final two innings, giving the Tornado the victory.
Winning Pitcher: Emma Hughes (6-4) 6.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 6 SO
Losing Pitcher: Marissa Martin (2-15) 3.1 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- Brokering gave King the lead with a single that scored Gilbert in the first inning.
- Jenna Burnett followed with a single that scored Becca Gold and a Katelyn Davidson groundout scored Brokering and gave King a 3-0 lead.
- The Valkyries got on the board in the fourth inning as Gabrielle Cuevas drove in a run, cutting the Converse deficit to 3-1.
- However, Farmer was solid in the circle, only allowing two base runners over the final three innings to give King the 3-1 win.
Winning Pitcher: Rachel Farmer (7-6) 7.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO
Losing Pitcher: Courtney Walls (0-4) 4.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 0 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Cuevas drove in Converse's lone run of the day while the Valkyries had seven hits from seven different players.
- King hosts Limestone College in the regular season finale on Thursday. The Conference Carolinas twin bill is scheduled for 2:00 p.m.
- The contest was scheduled for Friday but moved to Thursday because of weather.
- Converse travels to Lees-McRae on Thursday.