BURLINGTON, N.C. – Southern Wesleyan University made their first Conference Carolinas Softball Championship a memorable one as the won their opening contest. The sixth-seeded Warriors came back to defeat third seed North Greenville University 6-3.
FINAL SCORE: No. 6 Southern Wesleyan 6, No. 3 North Greenville 3
LOCATION: Springwood Park; Burlington, N.C.
RECORDS: North Greenville 23-23; Southern Wesleyan 20-18
- Addie Nugent went 3-for-4 and scored twice while Ashton Martin went 2-for-4 and drove in one to lead Southern Wesleyan.
- Lydia Clanton hit her seventh home run of the year for the Warriors.
- For North Greenville, Sam Kicklighter ripped her fourth home run of the season and Jenna Hewes hit her fourth home run of the year.
- Delanie Laudenbacher earned the win, tossing four innings for Southern Wesleyan.
- Ashton Martin earned her first save, tossing three innings in relief and allowing only three hits.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Southern Wesleyan grabbed the lead in the first when Nugent singled, stole second and reached third on an error.
- She then scored on a Delaney Byers sacrifice fly.
- Kicklighter evened the score for North Greenville in the bottom half to the inning when she ripped a one-out home run to left center.
- Hewes gave the Crusaders a 2-1 lead with a home run in the second before Brooklyn Stone made it a 3-1 lead with a run-scoring single.
- Ashton Martin came up with a two-out single that scored Nugent in the third, cutting the Warriors' deficit to 3-2.
- Southern Wesleyan gained a 4-3 lead with a pair of two-out run-scoring singles from Taylor Le and Nugent.
- Clanton ripped a home run in the fifth and the Warriors extended their lead to 6-3 on a two-out single from Kali Berrigan.
- Marton tossed well in relief to earn the save and give the Warriors the victory.
- Southern Wesleyan advances to face No. 2 King or No. 7 Belmont Abbey in the winner's bracket at 5:00 p.m. on Friday.
- North Greenville faces the loser of No. 1 Erskine and No. 8 Limestone at 3:00 p.m.