BURLINGTON, N.C. – Lees-McRae College used a big inning and solid pitching performance from Kara Cunningham to move into the winner's bracket at the Conference Carolinas Softball Championship. The fifth-seeded Bobcats upset fourth-seeded University of Mount Olive 3-2.
FINAL SCORE: No. 5 Lees-McRae 3, No. 4 Mount Olive 2
LOCATION: Springwood Park; Burlington, N.C.
RECORDS: Mount Olive 33-18; Lees-McRae 18-17
- Lees-McRae had four different players account for their four hits with Kara Cunningham and Faith Cooke driving in runs.
- For Mount Olive, Madison Morgan posted three hits and Eileen Barrera accounted for two hits and one run batted in.
- Conference Carolinas Player of the Year, Cunningham tossed a complete game, allowing two runs on eight hits and striking out eight.
- For Mount Olive, Haley Brogden tossed all seven innings, allowing three unearned runs on four hits and striking out seven.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Lees-McRae escaped a bases-loaded jam in the second inning, and got on the scoreboard in the top of the third.
- The Bobcats took advantage of a Mount Olive defensive error before RBI singles from Kara Cunningham and Faith Cooke gave Lees-McRae a 3-0 lead.
- Lees-McRae loaded the bases in the sixth inning, but couldn't push across a run.
- Mount Olive loaded the bases again in the bottom the sixth inning, but Cunningham induced a groundout and got a strikeout to keep Lees-McRae ahead.
- Mount Olive got a one-out rally going in the seventh on a walk and a single.
- Heather Childress followed with a double to score one and Barrera cut the Trojan deficit to 3-2 with an infield single.
- However, Cunningham got the final two outs to move Lees-McRae to the winner's bracket.
- Lees-McRae faces the winner of No. 1 Erskine and No. 8 Limestone at 5:00 p.m.
- Mount Olive will take on the loser between No. 2 King and No. 7 Belmont Abbey at 3:00 p.m.