BURLINGTON, N.C. – Game three of the Conference Carolinas Softball Championship saw the third upset as eight seeded Limestone College took down regular season champion Erskine College. The Saints scored two runs in the first inning and Caroline Ruth made it stand up as Limestone took the contest 3-1.
FINAL SCORE: No. 8 Limestone 3; No. 1 Erskine 1
LOCATION: Springwood Park; Burlington, N.C.
RECORDS: Erskine 33-13; Limestone 22-23
- Sydney Sullivan drove in two for Limestone on one hit while Ashley Parnell posted three hits and drove in one.
- Julia Cole posted two hits for Erskine and Shi Cain ripped her 10th home run of the season.
- Ruth tossed a complete game for Limestone, allowing one run on seven hits and striking out seven.
- For Erskine, Morgan Hendrix allowed three runs on six hits in seven innings.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Limestone grabbed the lead on a two-out, two-run double from Sullivan in the first inning.
- Cain cut the Erskine deficit in half with a home run to center field in the fourth inning.
- Limestone regained their two-run lead on a two-out single from Parnell that scored Macie Parker.
- Erskine loaded the bases in the sixth inning, but the Saints cut down a run at the plate and Ruth induced another groundout to end the threat.
- Ruth then cruised the final inning, giving Limestone the 3-1 victory.
- Erskine takes on North Greenville in an elimination game on Friday evening.
- Limestone takes on Lees-McRae later tonight in a winner's bracket game.