BURLINGTON, N.C. – Third-seeded North Greenville University eliminated top seed Erskine College behind a stellar pitching performance from Jaelin Griffin. She only allowed one Flying Fleet hit over eight innings as the Crusaders topped Erskine 1-0.
FINAL SCORE: No. 3 North Greenville 1; No. 1 Erskine 0 (F/8)
LOCATION: Springwood Park; Burlington, N.C.
RECORDS: Erskine 33-14; North Greenville 24-23
- Taylor Koon drove in the game's lone run with a single in the eighth that scored Brooklyn Stone.
- Koon and Josie Reed posted two hits each for North Greenville
- Parker Birch registered Erskine's lone hit.
- Griffin allowed one hit over eight innings and struck out five against two walks.
- Hannah Houge only allowed one run on eight hits in eight innings for Erskine.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- North Greenville threatened in the opening inning with a pair of runners, and in the second with two hits, but couldn't score.
- Birch singled to start the Erskine half of the third inning, and Megan Deal walked. However, that was all Griffin allowed as the Crusaders got out of the inning with a pop out and two strikeouts.
- Griffin retired the final 14 batters she faced, helping North Greenville to the victory.
- She got the run she needed in the eighth inning as Koon came up with a single up the middle that scored Stone.
- North Greenville advances to Saturday where they will face the loser of fifth seed Lees-McRae and eighth seed Limestone.
- Erskine is eliminated.