BURLINGTON, N.C. – Fifth seed Lees-McRae College moved one game away from the Conference Carolinas Softball Championship title game when they defeated eighth-seeded Limestone College on Friday night. The Bobcats got a solid performance from Kara Cunningham as they took the contest 2-1.
FINAL SCORE: No. 5 Lees-McRae 2; No. 8 Limestone 1
LOCATION: Springwood Park; Burlington, N.C.
RECORDS: Lees-McRae 19-17; Limestone 22-24
- Katelyn Wyatt led Lees-McRae with two hits and one run batted in. Mallory Myers drove in the other run for Lees-McRae.
- Limestone had four players account for their four this with Olivia Chapman driving in their lone run.
- Cunningham earned the win, tossing six innings in relief and allowing only two hits.
- Sydney Sullivan started for Limestone and allowed two runs on four hits in three innings.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Limestone grabbed the lead in the first inning as Chapman drove in Vic Brewington with a two-out single.
- Lees-McRae came back and evened the score in the second on a Myers one-out single through the right side that scored Emily King.
- Lees-McRae took a 2-1 lead on a Wyatt single through the left side that scored Faith Cooke.
- Limestone threatened with a runner in each of the final three innings, but Cunningham was up to the task, closing out the game to give the Bobcats the 2-1 win.
- Lees-McRae takes on the winner of No. 6 Southern Wesleyan and No. 7 Belmont Abbey at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday.
- Limestone will face third seed North Greenville in an elimination game at 12:00 p.m. on Saturday.