BURLINGTON, N.C. – Sixth seed Southern Wesleyan used four runs late in the game against seventh-seeded Belmont Abbey College to hand the Crusaders their first defeat of the weekend. The Warriors scored four runs in the sixth inning to take the contest 4-2.
FINAL SCORE: No. 6 Southern Wesleyan 4; No. 7 Belmont Abbey 2
LOCATION: Springwood Park; Burlington, N.C.
RECORDS: Southern Wesleyan 21-18; Belmont Abbey 21-21
- Addie Nugent led Southern Wesleyan with two hits while Ashton Martin, Megan New and Lexi Thompson all drove in runs.
- For Belmont Abbey, Melissa Neyhouse and Cameron Cooper drove in runs. Brianna Embler accounted for the other Crusader hit.
- Martin tossed a complete game for Southern Wesleyan, allowing two runs on three hits.
- Ivorie Matlby started for Belmont Abbey and allowed no runs on three hits in three innings.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Cooper gave Belmont Abbey the lead with a sacrifice fly that scored Kelkcee Fulton in the second inning.
- Southern Wesleyan threatened with a pair of runners in the second inning, but Maltby left them stranded to keep Belmont Abbey in the lead.
- Neyhouse made it a 2-0 Crusader lead with a two-out single that scored Hailey Gass in the third inning.
- The Southern Wesleyan offense came alive in the sixth inning, loading the bases with no outs.
- A Martin sacrifice fly got the Warriors on the board before New evened the score with a ground ball.
- Thompson gave Southern Wesleyan a 3-2 lead with a single before a groundout gave the Warriors a 4-2 lead.
- Belmont Abbey put their leadoff runner in the seventh on third base with no outs, but Martin closed the door to give Southern Wesleyan the 4-2 win.
- Southern Wesleyan faces fifth seed Lees-McRae on Saturday at 2:00 p.m. with the winner advancing to the championship game.
- Belmont Abbey takes on second seed King in an elimination game at 12:00 p.m. on Saturday.