BURLINGTON, N.C. – The King University softball team nearly pulled off an improbable feat, if not impossible, winning three games in one day. However, the seconded Tornado came up just short, falling to sixth-seeded Southern Wesleyan 3-2 in 10 innings at the Conference Carolinas Softball Championship.
FINAL SCORE: No. 6 Southern Wesleyan 3; No. 2 King 2 (F/10)
LOCATION: Springwood Park; Burlington, N.C.
RECORDS: King 31-21; Southern Wesleyan 22-19
- Lexi Thompson and Kali Berrigan led Southern Wesleyan with three hits each while Riley Herdliska drove in a pair.
- Kay Brokering led King with two runs batted in on two hits.
- Ashton Martin tossed the first eight innings for the Southern Wesleyan as she allowed two runs on nine hits and struck out seven.
- Delanie Laudenbacker allowed four hits over the final two innings to earn the win.
- Rachel Farmer tossed all 10 innings for King, allowing three runs on 12 hits.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Casey Gilbert started the game with a single and later scored on a Brokering groundout to give King the 1-0 lead after one.
- Southern Wesleyan answered with a two-run, single from Hersliska in the second. Farmer then stranded a pair of runners on second and third as the Warriors to a 2-1 lead.
- King came back and loaded the bases in the bottom half of the inning with no outs. However, the Warriors turned a double play and got a groundout to end the threat and keep the lead.
- Southern Wesleyan moved a runner to third in the seventh, but Farmer stranded her there to keep King within 2-1.
- Hanna Adams started the seventh with a leadoff single and moved to second with two outs.
- Brokering then came up with a double down the left field line, plating Adams and evening the tally at 2-2.
- Southern Wesleyan had a pair of baserunners in the ninth, but King escaped the jam, and the Warriors left a pair of Tornado stranded in the bottom half.
- Thompson gave the lead back to Southern Wesleyan with a two-out single that scored Addie Nugent.
- The Warrior lead nearly grew with another single up the middle, but King cut down the run at the plate, keeping the Tornado within one.
- King put two runners on in the 10th and looked to even the tally on a base hit. However, the Warriors threw the runner out at the plate and got the final out to take the game 3-2
- Southern Wesleyan advances to take on fifth seed Lees-McRae in Sunday's championship game.
- King is eliminated from the Conference Carolinas Softball Championship.