BURLINGTON, N.C. – Lees-McRae College had a memorable weekend in Burlington as they captured their first Conference Carolinas Softball Championship. The fifth-seeded Bobcats won their fourth game in three days, defeated sixth seed Southern Wesleyan University 2-0 in Sunday's title game.
FINAL SCORE: No. 5 Lees-McRae 2; No. 6 Southern Wesleyan 0
LOCATION: Springwood Park; Burlington, N.C.
RECORDS: Lees-McRae 21-17; Southern Wesleyan 22-20
- Emily Merriam came up with the big hit for Lees-McRae, driving in two.
- Cunningham posted two hits on the day.
- The Warriors had four players account for their four hits in the game.
- Conference Carolinas Player of the Year tossed her 17th complete game of the year, allowing only four hits and striking out nine.
- For Southern Wesleyan, Delanie Laudenbacher tossed all six innings, allowing two runs on four hits.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Lees-McRae put runners on second and third with one out in the first and Faith Cooke lifted a fly ball to left field that looked like it would score a run.
- However, Taylor Le made the catch for Southern Wesleyan and threw the runner out at the plate to end the inning and keep the game scoreless.
- Cunningham started a rally with a one-out single in the fourth before a walk put two runners one.
- Merriam then came up with a double to right center that scored both runners, putting the Bobcats ahead 2-0 after four.
- Southern Wesleyan threatened with a pair of two-out hits in the fifth, but Cunningham got out the inning to keep Lees-McRae in the lead.
- Southern Wesleyan had another runner in the sixth inning, but that was all Cunningham allowed, pitching the Bobcats to the 2-0 victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Lees-McRae wins their first-ever Conference Carolinas Softball Championship and first NCAA Division II Softball Championship berth.