BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University softball team earned their second sweep of the season with a pair of wins over Shepherd University. King took the opening contest 9-6 before the offense came through in the second game to take a 3-2 victory over the Rams.
FINAL SCORE: King 9, Shepherd 6; King 3, Shepherd 2
LOCATION: King Softball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 10-12; Shepherd 3-5
- Sydney Bailey led the King offense, going 5-for-7 on the day. In game one, she went 4-for-4 and drove in two runs and in game two, she went 1-for-3, including her first home run of the season.
- Danielle Parks went 2-for-4 and drove in two runs.
- Megan Puckett went 1-for-3 in game one and drove in two and Azlee Sells went 2-for-4 in game one and scored two runs
- Casey Gilbert went 1-for-3 in game two, including her fourth home run of the season.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- The Tornado got off to a strong start on offense, taking a 2-0 lead in the first inning after Gilbert scored on a walk and Parks hit a sacrifice fly to right field to score Bailey Deason.
- However, Shepherd answered back with a run of their own after Allison Baker reached home plate on an error.
- In the fourth inning, Sells reached home on a fielder's choice followed by a walk with bases loaded, scoring Bailey at home and giving King a 4-1 lead.
- The Rams added two runs in the top of the fifth inning and cut their deficit to one after Lindsey Anderson tripled to right field, driving in Ashley Burger and Leann Brown.
- However, the Tornado offense erupted and added four more runs to the board in the bottom of the fifth inning.
- Bailey laced a double to center field, driving in Azlee Sells and Nikole Counts followed with a sacrifice fly to right field, driving in Bailey.
- Meagan Puckett drilled a triple to the right-center field fence, scoring Deason and Gilbert to give King an 8-3 lead going into the top of the sixth inning.
- King extended their lead to 9-3 in the sixth inning after Bailey doubled to center field to drive in Parks.
- Shepherd's offense came alive in the seventh inning, with the Rams scoring three runs off two hits to cut the deficit to 9-6.
- However, King was able to get out of the inning after Leslie Odom entered the circle and struck out three to take the contest 9-6.
Winning Pitcher: Nikole Counts (1-5) 6.0 IP, 9 H, 6 R, 5 ER, 2 BB, 3 SO
Losing Pitcher: Cheyenne Van Pelt (1-2) 6.0 IP, 8 H, 9 R, 9 ER, 8 BB, 3 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- King jumped ahead in the first inning again as Bailey started the inning with a home run.
- The Tornado took a 2-0 lead in the third inning after Gilbert added another home run to the contest.
- The Rams grabbed their first run in the fifth inning after Nicole Purtell singled, scoring Tori Seymour.
- Shepherd evened the contest 2-2 in the sixth inning after Burger homered over the left-field fence.
- The Tornado took the lead back in the sixth inning after Parks plated Gilbert to give King the one-run advantage.
- In the final inning, Hughes struck out two and forced a fly out to center to give King the 3-2 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Emma Hughes (5-3) 7.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 4 SO
Losing Pitcher: Katie Laing (2-2) 6.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 6 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Anderson led the Rams, going 4-for-7, with two runs batted in.
- Purtell and Brown followed with three hits each, with Brown driving in two and Purtell driving in one.
- King is scheduled to host Carson-Newman University on Tuesday at 1:00 p.m.
- Shepherd travels to UVa-Wise on Sunday afternoon.