GREENEVILLE, Tenn. – The King University women's basketball team defeated Mars Hill University in their season opener at Tusculum College. After trailing at the half King came out with a hot hand outscoring Mars Hill by 25 points in the second half, coming away with a 72-50 victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 72, Mars Hill 50
LOCATION: Pioneer Arena, Greeneville, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 1-0 Mars Hill 0-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mars Hill was able slow King's pace early only allowing them 24 points in the first half.
- After the half King was able to readjust and outscore the Lions by 9 points in third quarter.
- The Tornado finished with force outscoring Mars Hill by 16 points in fourth quarter.
- King shot a blazing 60.9% from the field and 71.4% from behind the ark in the second half.
- Three players reached double figures for King led by Jalan Harper, nearly missing a double-double, with 17 point nine rebounds.
- Arnelle Collins added 11 points for King and Whitney Mitchell chipped in 10.
- Amy Van Deventer pulled down nine rebounds for King.
- Mitchell also dished out five assist for the Tornado.
- King out rebounded Mars Hill 41-28.
- For the game The Tornado shot 47.8% from the field, while shooting 47.1% from three-point range.
FOR THE FOES
- Genice Lane led Mars Hill with 14 points and six rebounds, while Cadence Wilmoth added 13 points.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- This win makes the second time in two years that King has beat Mars Hills in their season opener, taking a 74-58 in Bristol last year.
- King has won four straight season openers.
- King will return to Pioneer Arena tomorrow to take on Tusculum College at 4:00 p.m.