GREENEVILLE, Tenn. – Tusculum College handed the King University women's basketball team their first loss of the season after sinking a buzzer-beater in overtime. Sydney Harris tied the game with a three-point basket with five seconds of the clock but Tusculum answered back beating the clock defeating King 73-70.
FINAL SCORE: Tusculum 73 King 70 OT
LOCATION: Pioneer Arena, Greeneville, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 1-1 Tusculum 2-0
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the first half of play King was unable to develop a major lead as Tusculum held them to 25.0 percent from the field.
- At the half the Tornado held a two point lead at 24-22.
- After the Pioneers started out the second half with the first field goal The Tornado were able to extend their lead with a 14-3 run.
- A free throw from Arnelle Collins gave King their largest lead of the game with 1:26 left in the third quarter up 11.
- A three-point field goal from the Pioneers tied the game 60-60 with 1:21 left in the fourth quarter.
- Both teams had an opportunity to take the lead at the end of regulation but were unable to convert, sending the game into overtime knotted at 60.
- In overtime King jumped out to take an early lead as a three by Harris gave the Tornado a 67-62 lead with 2:20 left on the clock.
- Tusculum then answered back scoring eight consecutive points to take the lead 70-67 with 18 seconds to go.
- The Tornado then came down and tied it at 70 when Harris sunk a three-pointer from the corner with five second left on the clock.
- With the clock running out Tusculum's Shynese Whitener nailed a last second shot from 30 feet out giving Tusculum the 73-70 victory.
- Collins led the Tornado with 19 points for the game, 17 of which came in the second half.
- Ashley Albertson recorded a double-double for the Tornado with 13 points and 10 rebounds.
- Harris added 15 for King going 4-for-8 from three-point range. She also recorded three blocks.
- Jalan Harper chipped in 10 points and six rebounds for the Tornado.
FOR THE FOES
- Whitener led all scorers recording a double-double with 21 points and 10 rebounds.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Collins matched her career high in points recorded a season ago against Mount Olive.
- This marks Albertson's first career double-double.
- This was the first time King has went into overtime since 2012, when they defeated Queens University 85-82.
- King faces Carson-Newman University in their home opener Wednesday at 7:00 p.m.
- Tusculum opens up conference play against Brevard College, November 24.