BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's basketball team remains undefeated in Conference Carolina's play taking down Emmanuel College 57-51 led by Whitney Mitchell with 16 points. After taking the lead late in the first quarter the Tornado would not trail for the rest of the contest holding off the Lions multiple attempts to regain advantage.
FINAL SCORE: King 57, Emmanuel 51
LOCATION: Student Center Complex, Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 4-3, 3-0 Conference Carolinas, Emmanuel 5-2, 2-2 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emmanuel led for the first seven minutes of the game until Mitchell sunk a three point basket to time the game 7-7 as Amy Van Deventer followed up with a couple made jumpers.
- After taking off on an 11-3 run King would go into the second quarter with a 15-7 cushion.
- The Lions answered back in the second quarter outscoring King 17-9 to take the score back to even at 24-24.
- The Tornado stormed out of the half with a 6-0 run starting with a couple free throws and a layup from Arnelle Collins.
- A couple free throws from Madison Davis would give King their largest lead of the game up 47-34 with 36 seconds left in the third quarter.
- In the third quarter alone King shot 63.6 percent from the field and 66.7 from long range.
- Emmanuel was able to limit King's opportunities in the fourth quarter as King only tallied two baskets from the field.
- The Lion cut the Tornado lead to as little as three points in the fourth quarter but King was able to seal the deal taking advantage of their opportunity at the charity stripe.
- Mitchell went 5-for-6 from the free throw line in the last 56 seconds of play as King took the 57-51 victory.
- Mitchell led all scorers with going 4-for-7 from the field while going 3-for-5 the arc. She also tallied four steals.
- Van Deventer pulled down 10 rebounds for the Tornado, chipped in seven points, and tallied four blocks.
- Brittany Stringer, Jalan Harper, and Sheena Johnson added five points apiece for King.
FOR THE FOES
- Elise Coberly recorded a double-double for the Lions with 10 rebounds and 12 points.
- Addie McNeely led Emmanuel with 13 points, adding nine rebounds.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Mitchell 16 marks a season-high topping her previous 13 against Barton last month.
- Kristen Cupples recorded a season-high eight points.
- King takes on regional opponent Lincoln Memorial University Saturday at 1:30 in the Student Center Complex.
- Emmanuel returns home next to take on Georgia Southwestern Saturday at 2:00 p.m.