BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's basketball team tried to stretch their winning streak to four games on a Saturday afternoon when they hosted Lincoln Memorial University in a game that was reminiscent of a heavyweight fight. The Railsplitters turned a halftime deficit into a lead after the third quarter before the Tornado looked to take the win at the end of regulation. However, the Railsplitters evened the score in the waning seconds to force overtime where the outscored King to take the contest 78-70.
FINAL SCORE: Lincoln Memorial 78, King 70 (OT)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex, Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 4-4, Lincoln Memorial 5-3
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first quarter was tight, with Lincoln Memorial holding the largest lead of the frame, 10-6 midway through. Kiara Rawls made a layup with one second left in the period to give the Railsplitters a 14-12 lead.
- The Tornado bounced back to score the first five points of the second quarter, taking a 17-14 lead. The run was started by a three-point play from Whitney Mitchell.
- The Railsplitters held a 23-22 advantage before Amy Van Deventer started a Tornado run with a layup on an assist from Mitchell.
- Arnelle Collins capped the 10-0 run that closed the half and gave King a 32-23 lead at the break with a free throw. The Tornado didn't allow a Railsplitter basket over the final 4:45 of the quarter.
- However, Lincoln Memorial turned that around in the third quarter, scoring the first 10 points, taking a 33-32 lead nearly four minutes in.
- The teams then went back-and-forth until the Railsplitters closed the final two minutes on a 9-4 run to take a 47-42 lead into the final stanza.
- After Lincoln Memorial scored the first bucket of the fourth quarter, the King defense clamped down, holding the Railsplitters without a point until there was 3:28 remaining.
- In that time, the Tornado offense rolled off 13 straight points, turning a nine point deficit into a 55-51 lead with four minutes remaining.
- Sheena Johnson scored six points on the run, including four from the free throw line and Jalan Harper gave King the lead at 52-51 with a jump shot with four minutes remaining.
- Mitchell stretched the King lead to 61-56 with bucket with two minutes remaining before Lincoln Memorial tried to comeback.
- With King leading 62-58, the Railsplitters made three straight free throws to cut their deficit to one. The Tornado then split a pair of free throws to take a 63-61 lead with 11 seconds remaining.
- However, the Railsplitters evened the score at 63-63 with two free throws with six seconds remaining.
- King had a shot to take the win in regulation, but couldn't get a shot to fall.
- The Railsplitters scored seven of the first eight points in overtime and withstood a late King run to take the contest 78-70.
- Mitchell led King with 16 points while Harper chipped in with 13 points and five rebounds.
- Collins added 11 points and five rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- Megan Pittman led four Railsplitter scorers in double figures with 15 points to go along with 15 rebounds.
- Brittney Guy and Shea Coker both had 14 points while Sydnie Anderson added 11 points.
- Josey Harding grabbed 11 rebounds to go along with five points.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The overtime game marks King's second of the year as they fell at Tusculum College in November.
- The last time King played an overtime game in the Student Center Complex was during the 2012-13 season when they defeated Queens University (N.C.).
- King returns to Conference Carolinas play on Wednesday when they travel to Belmont Abbey College. Tipoff from Belmont, N.C. is slated for 12:00 p.m.
- Lincoln Memorial takes the court again on Monday when they travel to take on Brevard College.