SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The King University women's basketball stayed unbeaten in Conference Carolinas play, earning another road victory on Saturday afternoon. The Tornado gained the early advantage at Converse College and pulled away in the fourth quarter behind forward Amy Van Deventer to take the contest 85-64.
FINAL SCORE: King 85, Converse 64
LOCATION: Gibbs Fieldhouse, Spartanburg, S.C.
RECORDS: King 8-5, 7-0 Conference Carolinas; Converse 2-9, 1-6 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams struggled in the first quarter, but the Tornado scored five of the final six points of the frame, taking a 15-10 advantage after one. Stephanie Brantley capped the Tornado scoring in the first quarter with a three-point basket in the final minute.
- Converse scored the first six points of the second quarter to even the contest and later the Valkyries scored five straight points to take a 20-19 advantage before Kristen Cupples drilled a three-point basket.
- The Valkyries then took a 25-22 advantage before Sheena Johnson connected from long range to even the score and spark the King offense.
- The Tornado scored 11 straight points, capped by a Demisha Porter triple with two minutes remaining to give King a 33-25 lead.
- The teams traded buckets over the final two minutes as King held a 37-28 lead at halftime.
- Van Deventer started the second half with an old fashioned three-point play, stretching the Tornado lead to 12.
- Converse cut their deficit to six, and trailed 49-42 when Ashely Albertson hit a pair of free throws and followed them with a three-point basket to extend the Tornado lead. Jalan Harper capped the 8-0 run with a three-point basket, giving King a 57-42 lead.
- Van Deventer made a pair of free throws with six seconds left in the third quarter to give the Tornado a 59-47 lead going into the final frame.
- King put the game away with a 9-2 run down the stretch, earning their largest lead of the game at 85-59 with 1:34 remaining as the Tornado took the contest 85-64.
- Van Deventer scored 24 points and grabbed eight rebounds off the bench to lead the Tornado. The sophomore went 8-for-11 from the floor and 8-for-10 from the free throw line in the contest.
- Albertson tallied 11 points and snared six rebounds while Harper added 10 points.
FOR THE FOES
- Brianna James and Khrystal Ellis led the Valkyries with 15 points apiece with Ellis grabbing a team-high seven rebounds.
- Paige Johnson added 10 points, four rebounds and four assists.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The 24 points for Van Deventer set a season-high and comes within two of her career-high of 26 points.
- King continues their best start to a conference season, moving to 7-0 in Conference Carolinas.
- The Tornado have scored at least 80 points in each of their last three games, marking the first time since the 2007-08 team has accomplished that feat. In 2007-08 the Tornado eclipsed the 80-point plateau six times in seven games, including two three game streaks.
- King returns home for the first time in more than a month when they face North Greenville University on Wednesday night. Tipoff from the Student Center Complex is slated for 5:30 p.m.
- Converse travels to Pfeiffer University on Wednesday night.