MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – For the second straight contest, the King University women's basketball team got off to a hot start in the first quarter, this time taking a lead at the University of Mount Olive. However, the Trojans came back before the Tornado scored the final five points of the game, taking the Conference Carolinas tilt 64-61.
FINAL SCORE: King 64, Mount Olive 61
LOCATION: Kornegay Arena, Mount Olive, N.C.
RECORDS: King 10-6, 9-1 Conference Carolinas; Mount Olive 8-8, 6-4 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Ashley Albertson and Brittany Stringer got the scoring going with back-to-back triples to put the Tornado ahead.
- Madison Davis started a 6-0 run that gave King a 16-8 lead, capped by a Whitney Mitchell layup.
- Stringer hit another triple in the final minute gave King a 21-10 lead before the Trojans made a pair of free throws to give King a 21-12 lead after the first quarter.
- Mitchell gave King a 27-17 lead with six minutes left in the quarter before the Trojans went on a run.
- Mount Olive scored 16 straight points to take a 32-27 lead before Kristen Cupples connected from long range with 41 seconds remaining.
- The teams traded buckets over the final 10 seconds as Mount Olive took a 35-32 lead into halftime.
- After the teams traded buckets to start the second half, Arnelle Collins and Mitchell made back-to-back buckets to give the lead back to the Tornado. Amy Van Devnter then made a layup before Sheena Johnson drilled a triple, giving King a 43-37 lead midway through the quarter.
- The Tornado held a 48-41 lead, but he Trojans closed the third quarter on an 8-1 run to even the score at 49-49.
- Sydney Harris scored five straight points, and Johnson made another triple for an 8-0 King run, giving them a 57-51 lead with eight minutes remaining.
- However, Mount Olive went on an 8-2 run, evening the score at 59-59 with 3:30 remaining.
- Mount Olive grabbed a lead, but Collins found a loose ball under the basket and made a layup, evening the score with two minutes remaining.
- Van Deventer made a pair of free throws with 43 seconds left, giving King a 63-61 lead.
- Following a miss and offensive rebound, Albertson got a block and rebound to give the ball back to the Tornado.
- Harris nailed one free throw with four seconds left and the Trojans missed their last-ditch effort was off the mark as King took the contest 64-61.
- Albertson stuffed the stat sheet, leading King with 15 points, 10 rebounds and seven assists. She also went 6-11 from the floor.
- Cupples added 10 points and Van Deventer chipped in with eight.
FOR THE FOES
- Arieal Johnson led Mount Olive with 16 points and 16 rebounds.
- Daria Simmons added 11 points and six rebounds while Ni'ya Styles added 10 points and six assists.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Albertson set a career-high with seven assists and matched a career-best with 10 rebounds.
- King returns home on Saturday when they host Belmont Abbey College at 2:00 p.m. in the Student Center Complex.
- Mount Olive travels to Southern Wesleyan University on Saturday afternoon.