FRANKLIN SPRINGS, Ga. – Following a week off due to weather, the King University women's basketball team returned to action on Tuesday night at Emmanuel College. The contest was a defensive struggle early, before the Lions pulled away in the second quarter. King made a comeback in the fourth quarter, but couldn't get over the hump as Emmanuel took the 74-63 victory.
FINAL SCORE: Emmanuel 74, King 63
LOCATION: Shaw Athletic Center, Franklin Springs, Ga.
RECORDS: King 10-7, 9-2 Conference Carolinas; Emmanuel 11-6, 7-4 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Whitney Mitchell opened the scoring with a three-point basket on the first possession of the game before Emmanuel went on a 10-2 run.
- Arnelle Collins beat the horn to end the first quarter as King closed the frame on a 6-0 run, taking an 11-10 lead after one.
- Both teams struggled to score in the beginning of the second quarter with the first bucket coming four minutes in and it went to the Lions.
- The layup from Avery Scarbrough started a 12-0 run for the Lions before Brittany Stringer ended the spurt with a triple.
- Emmanuel scored the final bucket of the second quarter, a triple from Mikayla Trombley with two minutes remaining to give the Lions a 28-18 lead at the break.
- Emmanuel used an 8-0 run in the middle of the third quarter to take a 48-31 advantage and the Lions earned their largest lead of the game at 54-34 before Stephanie Brantley hit a pair of free throws, cutting the King deficit to 54-36 after three quarters.
- The Tornado went on a 9-2, including six straight to start the fourth quarter, cutting their deficit to 56-45 following a Sydney Harris triple with seven minutes remaining.
- Trailing 61-47, the Tornado scored five straight layups from Mitchell, Collins, Sheena Johnson, Amy Van Deventer and Kristen Cupples on an 11-0 run.
- Van Deventer capped the spurt with a free throw, cutting the King deficit to 61-58 with three minutes remaining.
- The Lions extended the lead to 67-58 before Madison Davis made a jump shot and Harris followed with a triple, bringing King back to down 67-63 with 1:29 remaining.
- However, the Tornado couldn't get any closer as Emmanuel took the contest 74-63.
- Van Deventer and Mitchell led King with 11 points apiece with Van Deventer handing out three assists.
- Stringer, Collins and Johnson all added eight points apiece for King.
FOR THE FOES
- Trombley and Timia Reynolds led the Lions with 19 points each.
- Elise Coberly filled the stat sheet with 15 points, 13 rebounds and five assists.
- King returns home on Friday when they host Converse College. Tipoff is slated for 5:30 p.m. in the Student Center Complex.
- Emmanuel stays at home to host Belmont Abbey College on Saturday.