BRISTOL, Tenn. – Amy Van Deventer posted a double-double to lead the King University women's basketball team to a victory over Lees-McRae College on Wednesday night in the Student Center Complex. The Tornado closed the first and second quarters on 11-0 runs to gain the advantage before putting the 75-49 victory away in the second half.
FINAL SCORE: King 75, Lees-McRae 49
LOCATION: Student Center Complex, Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 13-7, 12-2 Conference Carolinas, Lees-McRae 7-14, 6-8 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The visiting Bobcats jumped out to a quick 10-2 lead before the Tornado settled in and worked their way back.
- King again trailed by eight, 17-9 with three minutes remaining in the first quarter before Whitney Mitchell ignited the offense with a jump shot.
- Van Deventer followed with a layup with an assist to Mitchell, and Mitchell added two more layups to even the score at 17-17 with 29 seconds remaining.
- With the quarter winding down, Mitchell put up a triple, which was off the mark and she got the offensive rebound. She quickly put another three-point shot, this one banked in as the time expired to give King a 20-17 lead after one.
- The score was again tied with three minutes remaining in the second quarter when King went on another run, this one started by Van Deventer.
- Sydney Harris nailed a three-point basket before Sheena Johnson and Van Deventer capped the 11-0 spurt to end the half with a pair of buckets in the final minute, giving King a 36-25 lead at the break.
- King scored the first eight points of the third quarter, taking a 44-25 lead two minutes in.
- The Bobcats came back with an 8-2 run to close the quarter and cut their deficit to 52-39 after three.
- Lees-McRae cut their deficit to 55-43 before Van Deventer started a 9-0 Tornado run that was capped by an Arnelle Collins triple.
- King the closed out the game, taking the contest 75-49.
- Van Deventer posted 22 points and 11 rebounds to lead the Tornado.
- Collins followed with 16 points while Mitchell added nine points.
FOR THE FOES
- Mackenzie Blankenship led the Bobcats with 16 points while Alexis Ammons added 10 points.
- Caitlin Brown snared a game-high 15 rebounds.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The double-double for Van Deventer was her second of the season and second in three games. It also marks her second 20-point game of the season.
- King hosts the University of Mount Olive on Saturday in the Student Center Complex. Tipoff is slated for 2:00 p.m.
- Lees-McRae hosts Barton College on Saturday afternoon.