MISENHEIMER, N.C. – The Tornado traveled to take on Pfeiffer University in a tough Conference Carolinas battle. In a game that included 10 lead changes the Tornado persevered sealing the deal at the free-throw line. King took a hard earned 65-61 victory led by Amy Van Deventer with 15 points.
FINAL SCORE: King 76, Pfeiffer 61
LOCATION: Merner Gym; Misenheimer, N.C.
RECORDS: King 16-9, 15-4 Conference Carolinas, Pfeiffer 8-15, 7-12 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons took an early four point lead after a Meg Pritchard layup gave the Falcons a 9-5 advantage over King.
- Stephanie Brantley answered back quick for the Tornado with an offensive rebound, put-back with and draining a three-point basket in back-to-back possession as King took the 12-9 lead.
- A steal from Jalan Harper and transition layup from Arnelle Collins would send the Tornado into the second quarter leading 14-11.
- Pffeifer then came out in the second quarter regaining the lead with 8:16 left in the half up 18-16 on a made jumper from Brianna Jones.
- The Falcons continued to advance their lead over the Tornado when a Pritchard three-point jump shot gave Pfeiffer their largest lead of the game up 31-22 with 3:36 left in the half.
- A King 8-0 run fueled by three back-to-back layups from Mitchell would bring King back in the game down by one at 31-30.
- The Tornado closed out the second quarter on a 12-1 run topped off by a made hook-shot from Van Deventer giving King a 34-32 advantage at the break.
- King and Pfeiffer would trade buckets for the first eight minutes of the third quarter as both teams would answer to the other neither gaining a major advantage.
- The Tornado would end the third quarter on a 7-0 run concluding with a layup from Harper at the buzzer to give King a 55-47 lead.
- The Falcons kicked off the final quarter with a 7-0 run ending with a layup from Pritchard that would cut the Tornado lead to one with 8:08 left in the game.
- A Mitchell layup and four straight made shots from the charity stripe by Van Deventer would advance the Tornado led to 61-56 with 5:00 to go.
- Neither team was able to convert for the next three minutes until Harper broke the silence with a made free throw.
- A Pfeiffer three-point basket from Jones and a then layup from Dejea Scott would bring the Falcons within one point with 15 ticks left on the clock.
- The Falcons then quickly fouled Mitchell sending her to the line to shot two free throws. Mitchell was able to make one count giving King a 63-61 lead.
- Pfeiffer's last chance attempt would not fall as a missed three-point attempt from Arianna Tillman would be pulled down by Collins.
- Collins would be fouled and sent to the line to finish the game for the Tornado converting both free-throws as King took the victory 65-61
- Van Deventer led the Tornado with 15 points and six rebounds and Collins adds 14 points.
FOR THE FOES
- Pritchard led all scorers with 16 points and seven rebounds.
- Jones chipped in 15 for the Falcons going a perfect 4-for-4 from the ark.
- Tillman added 10 going 5-for-8 from the field.
- The Tornado continue in their road trip to Erskine College on Saturday afternoon with tipoff scheduled for 2:00 p.m. from Due West, S.C.
- Pfeiffer travels to Mount Olive on Saturday night.