COLUMBUS, Ga. – The King University women's basketball team played their final game before the semester break at Columbus State University on Wednesday night. The Cougars got off to a hot start and didn't slow down, taking the contest 66-42.
FINAL SCORE: Columbus State 66, King 42
LOCATION: Frank G. Lumpkin Center; Columbus, Ga.
RECORDS: King 7-3; Columbus State 5-0
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado got off to a slow start as the Cougars opened the contest with a 21-2 run, including 17 straight points to open up the early lead.
- Arnelle Collins finally ended the spurt with a layup, but Columbus State held a 25-4 lead after the first quarter.
- King scored the first five points of the second quarter as Sheena Johnson hit a triple and Emily Kiser made a pair of free throws.
- A Demisha Porter three-point basket cut the Tornado deficit to 29-12 and Ashley Albertson scored the final points of the half.
- However, the Cougars answered with a bucket, making the halftime score 33-14 in favor of Columbus State.
- The Cougars continued to extend their lead in the third quarter as they scored the first five points before Mitchell got King on the board with a bucket.
- Collins later converted an old fashioned three-point play, pulling King within 40-19, but the Cougars closed the quarter on a 16-0 to take a 56-19 advantage into the fourth quarter.
- Kristen Cupples tried to spark a Tornado run with a triple to start the fourth quarter, and Johnson followed with a three-point play.
- Amy Van Deventer made it a 7-0 King run with a free throw.
- The Tornado closed the contest on a 9-0 run, with triples from Porter and Sydney Harris. Keyanna Blakely scored the final three points, but the Cougar lead was too much to overcome as Columbus State took the contest 66-42.
- Johnson led King with 11 points and Porter followed with six.
- Van Deventer and Harper grabbed a team-high five rebounds each.
FOR THE FOES
- Gabby Williams led four Columbus State scorers in double figures with 12 points.
- Alexis Carter scored 10 points and grabbed 13 rebounds while Ashley Asouzu scored 10 points to go along with 12 rebounds.
- King next takes on Elon University in an exhibition on road on December 28. Tipoff is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. The Tornado return to Conference Carolinas action on January 3 at No. 21 Limestone College.
- Columbus State next travels to take on Flagler College on Saturday.