ELON, N.C. – The King University women's basketball team returned to action with an exhibition at Elon University on Wednesday night. The Phoenix used a big second half to take the contest 93-47.
FINAL SCORE: Elon 93, King 47
LOCATION: Alumni Gym; Elon, N.C.
RECORDS: King 7-3; Elon 8-4
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Elon got off to a hot start, opening up a 10-4 lead before King called for timeout three minutes in.
- Back-to-back buckets from Amy Van Deventer and Arnelle Collins cut the Tornado deficit to 15-10.
- However, the Phoenix scored the next five points and held a 22-12 after the first quarter.
- The Phoenix defense dug in, and their offense picked up the pace, opening up a 32-12 lead following a 10-0 run to start the frame.
- The Elon lead swelled to 27 points before Van Deventer beat the buzzer, making the halftime score 48-23 in favor of the Phoenix.
- In the third quarter, the Elon defense continued to improve, holding the Tornado to six points, opening up a 69-29 lead after three.
- King opened the fourth quarter on an 11-3 run, cutting their deficit to 72-40. Sydney Harris started the spurt with a triple before Van Deventer scored the final seven points on the spurt.
- However, the Phoenix responded later in the quarter with a 13-0 run to take the contest 93-47.
- Van Deventer led King with 12 points and nine rebounds.
- Collins followed with eight points and Kristen Cupples chipped in with seven points.
FOR THE FOES
- Jenifer Rhodes led Elon with 14 points and six rebounds.
- Ra'Shika White grabbed a team-high nine rebounds to go along with 11 points.
- Maddie McCallie added 13 points and Jada Graves chipped in with 12 points.
- King returns to Conference Carolinas play on January 3 when they travel to Limestone College. Tipoff from Gaffney, S.C. is scheduled for 5:30 p.m.
- Elon takes on College of Charleston on Monday.