FRANKLIN SPRINGS, Ga. – The King University women's basketball team faced off against Emmanuel College on Saturday afternoon. A tied game at the half 31-31, the Tornado could not muster enough offense in the second half, falling 77-65.
FINAL SCORE: Emmanuel 77, King 65
LOCATION: Jean Yawkey Center; Franklin Springs, Ga.
RECORDS: King 12-5, 9-2 Conference Carolinas; Emmanuel 7-8, 5-6 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- A 5-0 run had the Tornado up early, 14-8 with 1:54 seconds to go in the first quarter. Kristen Cupples had a triple in the run.
- King used the run to head into the second quarter leading 14-11. The lions quickly tied the game up 15-15 with 8:43 to go in the half.
- A Kori West layup and two free throws from Sydney Harris quickly extended the lead to four.
- A Emmanuel three-pointer right before the half tied the game at 31-31.
- The Tornado were trailing by nine with 5:37 left to go in the third quarter when Kristen Cupples hit a three-ponter and Amy Van Deventer made a jump shot to make the score 46-42.
- After trailing by nine again, Whitney Mitchell made a layup and Sheena Johnson made a jump shot heading into the fourth quarter, King trailing 53-48.
- The Tornado were down 13 when a three-pointer by Demisha Porter and Jalan Harper cut into the deficit, making the score 62-55 with 5:59 to go in the game.
- That's as close as King would though as Emmanuel took the contest 77-65.
- Mitchell led the Tornado with 17 points and Harper had 10.
- Harper led King with five rebounds, followed by Madison Davis and Mitchell with four.
FOR THE FOES
- The lions had five players in double digit scoring.
- Elise Coberly had a game high 18 points and 14 rebounds.
- King comes back home to face Converse College on Tuesday. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. on Student-Athlete Appreciation night.
- Emmanuel stays at home to play Barton College on Tuesday.