BRISTOL, Tenn. – In a matchup of two of the top teams in Conference Carolinas, the King University women's basketball team came away with a solid win over the University of Mount Olive. The Tornado used a big run before halftime to take the lead and held off a late Mount Olive run for the 74-61.
FINAL SCORE: King 74, Mount Olive 61
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 18-6, 15-3 Conference Carolinas; Mount Olive 18-5, 15-3 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado scored the first four points of the contest, but Mount Olive answered with a 10-0 run to grab the lead.
- King came back to get within one, but the Trojans scored the final four points of the period, taking a 16-11 advantage.
- Kristen Cupples tried to get the King offense going in the second quarter with a triple that pulled the Tornado within three.
- Whitney Mitchell later pulled King within one, but the Trojans answered with a bucket for the Tornado defense clamped down.
- King only allowed Mount Olive to score on point over the final 2:33 of the second quarter while the Tornado scored 10 straight points on the offensive end.
- Jalan Harper drilled a triple, giving King the lead and Madison Davis followed with another trifecta.
- Mitchell got the last bucket of the period, giving King a 32-24 lead at the break, capping the 12-1 spurt.
- The Tornado extended their lead to 14 points, following a 9-0 run that was started by a Danielle Luczak bucket and five points from Mitchell.
- Ashley Albertson capped the burst, giving the Tornado a 43-29 lead with a jump shot.
- A Davis triple gave King their largest lead of the contest at 52-36 with 41 seconds remaining in the third period.
- However, Mount Olive scored the final bucket of the quarter, making the score 52-38 going to the fourth period.
- The Trojans used a 13-3 run, to pull back within 59-56 midway through the final quarter, but Mitchell had an answer.
- Mitchell made a layup and Sheena Johnson followed with a trifecta and jumper, extending the lead back to double digits.
- Luczak made it a 9-0 run and 68-56 Tornado advantage with a layup with 1:28 remaining.
- Luczak and Johnson then iced the 74-612 victory at the free throw line.
- Mitchell led King with 18 points, five rebounds and five assists.
- Luczak followed with 14 points and a team-high nine rebounds.
- Davis chipped in with 10 points and eight rebounds and Albertson added nine points and seven rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- Kiara Jones led Mount Olive with 19 points and 14 rebounds.
- Felecity Havens added 18 points and nine rebounds while Ni'Ya Styles chipped in with 14 points.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Luczak matched a career-best with 14 points and set a career-high with nine rebounds. She last scored 14 points against Converse College. In the same contest, she matched a then career-high for the third time with seven rebounds.
- King travels to take on rival Lees-McRae College on Wednesday night. Tipoff from Banner Elk, N.C. is scheduled for 5:30 p.m.
- Mount Olive travels to Barton College on Wednesday night.