BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's basketball team came away with a well-earned Conference Carolinas victory on Sunday afternoon in the Student Center Complex. The Tornado used a 7-0 run in the fourth quarter to gain separation from Converse College and ultimately hold on for the 92-83 victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 92, Converse 83
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 4-4, 2-1 Conference Carolinas; Converse 5-6, 1-2 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The contest was tight early until Ali Golden drilled a triple and Arnelle Collins made a layup following a Golden steal to give King a 14-7 lead.
- An old fashioned three-point play from Che' Davis gave King their largest lead of the first quarter at 17-9 and Golden scored the final bucket in the waning seconds, giving the Tornado a 22-15 lead going to the second quarter.
- Collins stretched the King lead to 11 twice in the early part of the second quarter, but the Valyries came back with a 7-0 run, cutting their deficit to 30-26.
- However, the Tornado answered with eight straight points, capped by a Jada Owens trifecta, giving King a 38-26 advantage.
- Converse cut into the Tornado lead down the stretch, but King lead 43-35 at the break.
- Golden scored four points on a 7-0 run the stretched the Tornado lead to 55-44 midway through the third quarter.
- Converse wouldn't go away as the outscored King 11-3 over the final three minutes of the third quarter, cutting the Tornado lead to 62-59 going to the final period.
- Two minutes into the fourth quarter, Converse evened the score at 64, but Kristen Cupples was quick to answer with a bucket for the Tornado.
- Following a Madison Davis steal and Golden layup, Cupples drippled a triple that gave King a 71-64 lead less than one minute after the score was tied.
- It looked as though the Tornado would cruise to the win after another Che' Davis three-point play that gave King an 80-70 advantage with three minutes remaining.
- However, the Valkyries had another run in them, cutting their deficit to 82-78 with 1:30 remaining.
- Nevertheless, King iced the contest, making their final 10 attempts from the free throw line for the 92-83 victory.
- Cupples posted a double-double, accounting for 15 points and 13 rebounds.
- Golden led King with 22 points and Che' Davis followed with 19 points and five rebounds.
- Kori West was the final Tornado in double figures with 11 points to go along with six rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- Brianna James led Converse with 33 points while Abigail Lewis followed with 18 points and five rebounds.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The double-double for Cupples is her second of the season as she posted 16 points and 11 rebounds in the season-opening win over Mars Hill University.
- She also set a career-high with 13 rebounds. Her previous high was 11 in that contest against Mars Hill.
- Golden and Che' Davis both set career-highs. It marked the first time Golden has topped the 20-point plateau.
- The 92 points for King marks the first time this season the Tornado have scored at least 90 points and the first time since January 11 of last season when they scored 94 points at Barton College.
- King stays at home to face Belmont Abbey College on Saturday at 2:00 p.m. in the Student Center Complex.
- Converse travels to Barton on Saturday.