WISE, Va. – Winning on the road isn't easy, and the King University women's basketball team used a gritty performance to take a win at UVa-Wise on Tuesday afternoon. The Tornado trailed the majority of the contest, but used an 8-0 run in the fourth quarter to take the lead and defeat UVa-Wise 65-61.
FINAL SCORE: King 65, UVa-Wise 61
LOCATION: Prior Convocation Center; Wise, Va.
RECORDS: King 5-5, UVa-Wise 2-9
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Cavaliers got off to a hot start, scoring the first six points of the contest and opened up a 13-2 advantage.
- King then went on a 6-2 run, capped by a Che' Davis triple to cut their deficit to 15-8.
- However, UVa-Wise opened up their largest lead of the first half at 20-8 before the Tornado went on a run.
- Kori West cut the King deficit to 24-14 after one quarter with a layup in the final minute of the opening stanza.
- Arnelle Collins opened the second quarter with a triple and Ali Golden followed with a layup, cutting the Tornado deficit in half.
- King later evened the score following a 9-2 run that was capped by a Collins basket that evened the score at 28.
- However, the Cavaliers scored the final bucket of the quarter, taking a 30-28 lead at the half.
- The Tornado tried to get the offense going in the third quarter, cutting their deficit to three twice in the early going, but the Cavaliers had an answer each time.
- UVa-Wise stretched their lead to 43-34 with four minutes remaining in the quarter before the Tornado started to chip away.
- Kristen Cupples made back-to-back baskets to help jump start the Tornado.
- Golden gave King a big jolt in the waning seconds of the stanza as she stole the inbounds pass following a Taylor Freeman layup and made another layup, cutting the King deficit to 48-44 after three quarters.
- The Tornado trailed 57-51 in the fourth quarter before Freeman started a King spurt with a jump shot.
- Following a pair of Golden free throws, Freeman evened the score for the first time in the second half with a steal and layup.
- Golden then made a layup, giving King their first lead of the game at 59-57 with four minutes remaining.
- Collins gave King the lead for good with a three-point play with three minutes remaining.
- A pair of free throws, one from West and one from Davis turned a one-point King lead into a 64-61 advantage with 1:22 remaining.
- The King defense then forced a pair of Cavalier missed shots as King held on for the 64-61 victory.
- West posted a double-double with 15 points and 11 rebounds.
- Golden followed with 14 points and six rebounds while Davis followed with 12 points and six boards.
- Collins chipped in with 11 points and six rebounds, and Freeman added nine points and three assists.
FOR THE FOES
- Adalmaryz Gomez led the Cavaliers with 17 points and five assists.
- Hanna Oliver followed with 11 points.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- West posts her second double-double of the season, the other coming at Limestone College on December 2 where she scored 15 points and added 10 rebounds.
- For West, the 15 points and 11 rebounds match career-highs.
- Golden matched a career-best with six rebounds and Freeman set a career-high with five assists.
- King returns to action on December 30 when they travel to sixth-ranked Carson-Newman University. Tipoff from Jefferson City, Tenn., is slated for 2:00 p.m. That will mark the second meeting for the teams this season as the Eagles topped King 80-52 on November 15.
- UVa-Wise travels to take on Radford University in an exhibition contest on December 30.