JEFFERSON CITY, Tenn. – The King University traveled for their first game in 11 days when they took on fifth-ranked Carson-Newman University. The high-powered Eagle offense got off to a hot start and didn't slow down as the Tornado fell 108-64.
FINAL SCORE: #5 Carson-Newman 108, King 64
LOCATION: Holt Fieldhouse; Jefferson City, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 5-6; Carson-Newman 14-0
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Eagles wasted no time grabbing the lead, scoring the first seven points of the contest, all coming in the first 1:08.
- Keyanna Blakely scored the first two buckets of the game for the Tornado, cutting their deficit to 9-4 in the early going.
- The Eagle lead grew to as many as 12 in the opening quarter, but Kristen Cupples drilled a triple in the final minute.
- However, Carson-Newman scored the final basket to take a 23-12 lead into the second quarter.
- Carson-Newman stretched their lead to 35-16 with an 8-0 run early in the second stanza.
- Every time the Tornado tried to start a run, the Eagles had an answer in the first half as they extended their lead in the final minute of the quarter.
- Carson-Newman connected on a pair of three-point baskets to take a 56-32 lead at the half.
- The Eagles went on a 12-0 run early in the third quarter to take a 68-36 lead and put the game out of reach.
- The Tornado deficit continued to grow as they trailed 85-49 after three quarters.
- Carson-Newman continued to stretch their lead in the fourth quarter, taking the contest 108-64.
- Che' Davis led King with 15 points and three rebounds.
- Arielle Holloway followed with 13 points and Cupples rounded out three scorers in double figures with 12 points.
- Blakely grabbed a team-high six rebounds to go along with six points.
FOR THE FOES
- Mika Wester led Carson-Newman with 27 points, nine rebounds and four assists.
- Haris Price added 12 points and four assists and Katie Stubblefield chipped in with 11 points.
- King returns to Conference Carolinas play when they travel to Southern Wesleyan University on Tuesday night. Tipoff from Central, S.C. is scheduled for 5:30 p.m.
- Carson-Newman hosts Catawba College on Saturday.